We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

Richmond, Surrey
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

I'm having trouble finding a hostel in Santarém. I've checked HostelBookers, Hostelworld, Hostelz, and even Hostelling International and so far have had no luck locating anything.

I'm hoping to stay in Santarém 02/03/2013 for one night prior to heading back to the UK.

My only other alternative is to stay an extra night in Lisbon, head to Santarém and then head back to Porto to catch my flight. I was hoping to stay just two nights in Lisbon and one in Santarém though if I can't find accommodation I suppose I could stay three night in Lisbon instead.

If anyone can recommend anything I'd be ever so grateful, even something similar, a B&B perhaps. Any suggestions would be welcome.

11 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,222 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

I doubt that an hostel exist in Santarém, there should be some budget accomodations in local "pensões/residenciais", never stayed there http://www.residencialbeirante.com/index.htm; viajar.clix.pt/hotels.php…

At booking.com you have hotels in Santarém for about €50/night

Richmond, Surrey
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

I've been thinking, may be it's best I stay another night in Lisboa as it only takes approx 1hr 15mins at most to get to Santarém by train, I should hopefully get there by at least midday with any luck. This should give me a few hours to have a look around. I could then head to Porto around 18:00hrs or 19:00hrs, probably no later than 18:00hrs though, this should give me enough time to see Santarém.

Will check out the websites you've posted in the meantime as well.

Thanks for your help, most appreciated.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 17:41
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
826 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

An alternative to train is to go to Santarém by bus from Lisbon (http://www.rede-expressos.pt/default.aspx), it takes an hour, and the earliest trip will get you in Santarém by 09h00, with plenty of time for you to go around. The center of Santarém is small, so that gives you enough time for your trip to Porto at the end of the day. I think it's a better idea to sleep over one more night in Lisbon and just go there the next day. I was in Santarém last Saturday and the center was so quiet with almost everything closed, there was almost nothing to see and very few people about. You can better use your time for other touristic sights in Lisbon the night before.

Richmond, Surrey
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

Thanks, good advice. I'm heading over to Portugal the last two weeks in April, 22nd April - 4th May, I'll ask at the tourist information centre in Lisbon when I arrive if it's worth going to Santarém, if not I'll do something else. It would be a shame not to go though I'm sure I'll find something else to do while in Lisbon. I too also think it's a good idea to stay over one more night in Lisbon, especially from what you've pointed out as well. I'll be arriving at Lisbon 30th April.

Thanks again.

Santarem, Portugal
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

There is a new Hostel in Santarem since last March: Santarem Hostel

site: www.santaremhostel.blogspot.pt

or in Facebook

Richmond, Surrey
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

Thanks Mario, I´m currently in Lisboa, near the end of my trip, may try and get to Santarém today if I have time, have other plans in the meantime, though if I consider going to Portugal again I might see if I can book a night at the new hostel you´ve posted.

Thanks again Mario, will keep a note of the hostel you´ve posted.

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

Hi. Is it best to buy bus ticket to Santarem in advance or could also buy ticket on the day of the travel? I will be in Lisbon in the summer and would like to go to Santarem for a day trip.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

If it's in the summer I suggest you buy before your travel. You can do that also online from 1 month ahead of travel: http://www.rede-expressos.pt/default.aspx

Edited: 13 January 2014, 18:04
Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

thank you =)

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,222 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?

You can buy it on the day, you'll have no problem. It's not by the sea...

Reply to: Can anyone recommend a hostel in Santarém?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santarem