We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
"Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

Has anyone walked any of the sections and if so, which ones can you recommend? Only got 7 days so probably only manage half the route.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

I've given JohntheDog a nudge to reply. He's walked half of it perhaps more, and intends to do the lot. He's usually accompanied by his good lady and by my wife. My only involvement is to give them a lift back to our apartment when they've finished. From what they have said the walk ftom Santo Tomas westward to Cala Galdana is one of the most enjoyable - though they are all excellent. When are you going - time of year and therefore heat is a factor?.

Enjoy

Dogdad

Enjoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

The coasta are very different north and south, so research them first to see what you prefer landscapewise. I guess getting a drop off/pick up is the key to it all.

J x

PS Fornells to Playa den Fornells is a short taster of the north coast

Stockholm
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

We've walked short parts of several routes and find the west coast less attractive than the other coastlines The north coast is much more dramatic than the south, like Cala Morell to Binimel-La or Cala Mescida to Cap de Favaritx. Son Xoriger to Son Saura (and possibly on to Cala Galdana or furter) is right along the sea (the first part) but has less variation. This is a link that guided us to several favorites:

http://rutasmenorca.com/?page_id=871&lang=en

Edited: 19 August 2011, 16:14
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: "Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

A couple of pointers for you:

Santo T to Galdana - this was the first one we did before the cami was officialy open. If you decide to do it take the "coastal path" as the cami now heads inland and misses the best beaches. You can do this in reverse by starting at cala Mitjana and heading East

Cal'n Porter to Son Bou - a great walk taking in the C'nP baranc as well as a small cove just before son Bou

If you can get transport to Son Saura then you can walk to Galdana in half a day taking in the beaches at Tailer, Turquetta, Macarelletta and Macarella on the way.

North coast: Favaritx to Es Grau is a very scenic and takes in a couple of beaches.

If you can get transport to Binimala then head East towards Playa Fornells and a bus connection, taking in cavalaria and a couple of smaller coves on the way

You can use the busses to start at the roundabout 3 km from Fornells on the Mercadal road and head to Son Parc in under 2 hours through pine forests.

---------------------------------------------------------

For other short routes you could try Fornells to Playa Fornells as mentioned, though this is not the cami as that is further south, but is a good hours walk on the coastal path (start from Fornells cemetry)

On the South coast you can do Canutells to C'n'Porter (or reverse) in under 2 hours.

Avoid anywhere East of Canutells as far as Punta Prima as the route is almost all on road and is better seen by car. I'd also skip anywhere on the west coast from Cala Morell round to Cal'n Bosch - very barren landscape.

JtheD

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

JTD makes an important point. The Official Cami routings will sometimes head inland either for historical/'could not buy the land' reasons I guess. You can miss a lot of good stuff, so follow your nose,many older diy routings like painted rocks will show the unofficial routes but be careful at the cliff edges too;-)

JTD

I bought the new official Cami book-did not have chance to look at the 1 Euro Maps that cover a specific section but do they have more detail. 'Maps' in the full book are very unrefined.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: "Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

Seem to recall from local paper that local german guy walked it in one go for charity earlier this year - took 48 hours or so?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

Thanks everyone for all your comments. We are hoping to do a continuous route for one week and carry our own bags. My vague thoughts were.

Start Ferreries - Cuitadella-Cala N Bosch - Santa Galdana - Son Bou - Canutells (taxi to Punta Prima) Punta Prima - Cala de Sant Esteve - Mao.

Its roughly 10 miles/day and hopefully plenty of cheap hotels on the way. We are looking at early June so hoping accomodation will be cheap. Have heard Alpina maps are good for directions, have bought Discovery walking guide which has good detail.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: "Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

That sounds ok, but I'd skip the first part and start at Cal'n Bosch. If you plan to make overnight stops in the larger resorts you'll have much more choice of accom, so If you're happy doing 10 miles a day you can make Galdana from there for the first night.

On the second day you may want to stop short of Son Bou and overnight in Sano T. From there you could spend a day walking to Cal'n Porter for an overnight stop. Then do the short walk from C'nP to Canutells, taxi or bus to punta Prima and head to S'algar. Finish up with S'algar to Es Castell / Mao.

By my reckoning that may give you a day left to try some of the North coast?

Early June sounds good - not too hot. Re Maps - we hardly use them. The route is very well signed and has plenty of marker posts to keep you on track, tho you do get "abandoned" in resorts and have to find your way from one side to the other - most maps won't cover that much detail - we use a GPS with resort streetmaps.

JtheD

9. Re: "Cami de cavalls" Walking route round the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Punta Prima
Recent Conversations