We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun bed charge of the Beach.

Which Son Bou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bedford
Level Contributor
205 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sun bed charge of the Beach.

Are there sunbeds on the beaches in Menorca?

Does anyone know how much the charges are for this summer.

We are thinking of the beginning of June.

I prefer the beach to sitting around a swimming pool but my husband needs the support of a sun bed.

I am looking at the Valentin Son Bou Hotel, the hotel isn't near a beach so we will hire a car.

Any help will be gratefully received.

I can't remember where the hotel is located. I apologise if I have posted in the wrong place.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

Yes - but they are really expensive because the local council charge the traders a fortune for the concession so they have to pass that on in order to make it worthwhile doing. You can sometimes buy folding plastic beachchair thingies that are like mini chairs that keep you down at sand but support the back and keep you in a sort of sitting position - last year they were about 12 euros as opposed to around 15 euros per day for two sunbeds and an umbrella ( you can generally buy those for under10 euros too)

Re car hire PLEASE look at the Top Question section on this topic so you do not get stuck with an expensive deal. If you only want one for a couple of days you should be able to find something in the resort in June but the Valentin runs a free shuttle service to the beach - see valentinhotels.com/en/all-inclusive-holidays…

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
797 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

we are going to valentin son bou on the 31st may.from what I have read it is only a ten to fifteen minute walk to the beach,all be it up a steep hill on the way back . but according to what i have read the hotel runs a courtesy bus to and from the beach every 30 mins. so hire a car to explore the island by all means but you wont need one to get to the beach if you stay a t valentin son bou

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
797 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

lol just seen end of your reply men reg. sorry

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

Told they were 6 euros each at Galdana today.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

I can't believe we happily used to pay for these, must have been rich back in those days.

So much easier and better value to buy a couple of mats and parasols. We have a huge picnic blanket we take every year, has pride of place in our suitcase, fits the 3 of us easily.

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

Must be so nice for people who are fit and well enough to lie flat on their back on the hard sand for three or four hours on a thin rush mat. Sadly we have to pay the extortionate fees that are charged if we wish to enjoy the beaches on Minorca :-( Certainly not rich just realistic.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 21:00
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

Have you tried the folding plastic chair thingies I mentioned Tilley? I have seen locals sitting in them several times and they seemed happy enough. You can also buy beach mats with backrests built into them ( I have seen these in the UK too)

Personally we never spend that long on the beach so ( as yet) the beach mat thing still works fine for me (although getting down and back up again is not as easy as it used to be). An hour or two at most is my limit be it on the beach or by a pool as I get bored just sitting there and reading a book isn't easy is that position - I prefer a chair in a shady spot for that

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

I haven't menorcaregular but I haven't forgotten that you kindly mentioned them to me in the past, so they are on my holiday notes that I sadly keep nowadays so I don't forget the information I collect.

I will keep my eye open for them when I am there and maybe purchase one just for me and then pass it on at the end of the holiday.

I am a little like yourself in so far as I also don't want to spend full days on the beach. I think another way round this on Menorca is to go down to beaches after 3pm as I believe that the sunbeds and parasols may have a reduced price at that point.

I think that may suit as two or three would be enough. It does seem a shame to go to somewhere with such beautiful beaches and not experience them due to cost. I'll report back on any successes I have incase they help others in the same position.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

Sorry Tilley, never crossed my mind that some might find it too uncomfortable for one reason or another. I certainly don't lay down for 3 hours at a time either, similar to MenReg says.

Our hours on the beach are spent snorkelling, swimming, rock pool fishing etc with only 10 or 20 minutes at a time actually sunbathing, so the picnic blanket / mats option works for us.

Ringwood, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun bed charge of the Beach.

Mats worked well enough for us. You can break up your day with a couple of hours on Son Bou beach and then walk over the headland to S Tomas, have a light lunch/drink there in the beach top bar and then catch a couple of hours sun there before you return.

Get answers to your questions about Son Bou
Recent Conversations
More Son Bou Topics