We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

Which Son Bou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

Hello, thought I'd ask if anybody knows of, or has been to any little coves or small beaches close to Son Bou, or even a short drive away. We went to Cala n Forcat last year and found a gorgeous cove surrounded by high rocks that everyone was jumping off into the sea. Really picturesque and fun, the kids loved it. I know Son Bou has a gorgeous long sandy beach but thought I'd ask as we'll have a hire car for a few days. A change I suppose. Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

You were very probably at cala en bruc last year.you will see the real menorca from son bou.hidden cove behind ses peynes,with car you can get to Cala en Porter and Cala Coves with brilliant coves

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,013 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

Please be aware that the walk down from the car parking area at Cales Coves to the cove itself is quite a distance in hot weather - we went there today just after 5 pm and demolished a 1/2 ltr of water between us just walking down and back - it was worth the trip though as it was virtually deserted (and there was an area of sea water in front of part of the rock face on the far side which appeared a brilliant emerald green because of the light).

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

I haven't been to Cala Coves for a few years,

Can you not drive all the way down anymore?

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

I haven't been down for years as the road got so bad with potholes that I was afraid I was going to damage the underside of the car. The hire companies are so particular now, in the gold old days they hardly bothered checking the car at the end of your holiday.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

yes you can drive your choice , it's unmaintained and condition changes(rough track ) but Hire car is a risk

Well worth the walk! Bit of Paradise when you swim/walk round into the other bays

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

caroliner

Some of the tracks i used to drive down in the hire cars I wouldn't dream of driving now.

As you say the hire companies never bothered checking the cars "in the good old days" like they do now.

Just to add to Tom Ts post.

Cala Coves is also a fantastic place for snorkeling.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 13:59
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,013 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

We also do not drive on unmade roads because of the hire car T&Cs about undercarriage damage, but the road was tarmacadamed ( a fairly wide single track ) as far as the point where there was a designated parking area and apart from being narrow it was fine ( no pot holes etc.) . We walked down from there because there was a sign suggesting pedestrian access only ( and the surface wasn't made up any more) although when we got as far as the padlocked gate across the road towardsthe bottom we found a couple of cars parked down here too.

BTW - I remember that many years ago hardly anywhere off the main roads was properly made up or maintained and one day whilst exploring in a hire car ( we were following a guide book about the archaeological sites that was very poorly translated) we got a blow out because a local farmer forced us off the good part of the road and almost into a drystone wall when he came hurtling around a corner in an ancient truck - we managed to change the wheel and took the car sheepishly back to the hire shop in Galdana expecting to be in trouble and the guy just shrugged his shoulders as if it were an every day occurrence, put a new spare wheel in the car and off we went again - happy days :-)

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

Maybe they used the tarmac left over from the "scary road".

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

Wow partially tarmaced! That's a surprise. Hopefully not too many 'overrun' the place now - such a delight to visit

Edited: 24 June 2014, 15:16
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,013 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coves and small beaches near Son Bou

There were 5 or 6 cars plus ours and one scooter at around 5.30 pm. and we only saw one other couple on the path down . It is clearly signposted from the main road now though...............

Get answers to your questions about Son Bou
Recent Conversations
More Son Bou Topics