We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

New Delhi, India
14 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

Dear Friends,

I am planning to visit Dwarka and Somnath Temple with my family(Parents ,Wife and small kids) during January 2015.My parents are aged,So cannot walk long distances. or climb stairs.

I have read in this forum to Start jouney from Ahmedabad or Rajkot or Porbandar.I really am confused where to consider my starting point.

So following are my few questions.

1)Is first/second week of January good time to visit?

2)What should be the itinerary?

3)Which mode of transport should be considered -By Air or By Train.?I am thinking to reach the starting point by train and go back by a flight back to Delhi.But I can modify it according to itinerary.

4)I am planning to visit at leisure,So have around a week with me.Experienced members may add few more places of visit/destination. and places not to be missed.

5)Hiring a cab...Should I do it locally or for whole trip?

6)Renting an accommodation.Should it be an Air conditioned or normal one,as It would be January

and

7)Kindly add your own suggestions.

I thank everyone for reading my question and answering it.

With Regards,

Nitin Sharma

Mumbai
Level Contributor
10,955 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

Hi Nitin,

Ideally reach Rajkot by Air or Train and take a local taxi for round-trip to & fro Rajkot. This will minimise the inconvenience to your parents. All New Delhi - Rajkot flights are via Mumbai.

For local travel convenience, you may hire a vehicle like Indica Vista or Swift Dezire on round-trip basis. To & from Rajkot.

The suggested itinerary could be :

Day-1 : Reach Rajkot and check-in at hotel suiting your budget & requirement. (Night-halt @ Rajkot)

Day-2 : Leave early for Dwarka - you will reach Dwarka via Jamnagar by Lunch-time.

At Dwarka, you may consider staying at Toran Bungalow - GTDC accommodation, which is reasonably priced and quite close of Dwarkadhish Temple. The rooms have been renovated recently and are quite large. On-line booking is possible.

After lunch have a siesta and attend evening aarti and seek Dwarkadhish darshan. (Night-halt @ Dwarka)

Day-3 : Leave early for Bet-Dwarka and en route visit Nageshwar Mandir, Rukmini Mandir and Gopi Talab. You can return by late afternoon. (Night-halt @ Dwarka).

Day-4 : Leave early morning for Somnath by coastal road via Porbandar. If transit breaks are small, you will reach Somnath by late afternoon. Lunch can be taken en route.Check-in at the hotel suiting your budget & requirement. Attend evening aarti and seek Somnath Darshan. (Night-halt @ Somnath)

Day-5 : After breakfast, visit other Somnath Attractions and leave for Rajkot. En route take a halt at Sasan-Gir and take a Lion Safari by bus at Devalia Safari Park. It is about an hour safari. Your family will enjoy sighting the lion in it's natural habitat. Later travel to Rajkot via Junagadh - Gondal. Reach Rajkot by evening and check-in at hotel. (Night-halt @ Rajkot).

Day-6 ; Depending upon your flight timing, explore Rajkot.

This is drafted based on my personal experience. I had visited this circuit in January this year. The weather will be quite cold at night. You may not need AC rooms.

I think I have answered all your questions. Now some more questions will emerge in your mind. Please be free to raise them. I shall reply.

Have a great trip.

CarLink

Edited: 09 July 2014, 12:24
New Delhi, India
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

Dear CarLink,

Thank you so much for such a quick and detailed reply.

Next question which comes in my mind is How much does average cost for cab comes for the trip.?Considering to hire a Cab for whole trip Rajkot-Rajkot,without AC(Will we require AC cab in January?) and I prefer Qualis or any other seven seater.

Rgds,

Nitin

Mumbai
Level Contributor
10,955 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

Hi,

Nitin off-hand I can tell you a small AC car should cost around Rs. 2500/- per day. Innova would be in the range of Rs. 3500/- per day (=/-). I can check with my contacts and send you PM if so desire. Again, by January there will be little cost-escalation. You need to hire a car only for 5 days. Last day, you can use local cab for Rajkot exploration and airport-drop.

As regards AC, your travel will be mostly day-time and its quite hot during afternoon. Even accommodation, I prefer paying few hundreds more and get AC room, if budget permits. AC rooms are normally much cleaner than non-ac, again my personal experience subject to debate.

New Delhi, India
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

Thank you so much for the details.I will discuss this at home .

Just curious ,How many beaches will we come across,where and how much time can we spend there as per the route you suggested.

We Delhites are always attracted towards beaches.....we don't have any -:).

Rgds,

Nitin

Edited: 09 July 2014, 13:47
Mumbai
Level Contributor
10,955 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

Hi,

There is a beach and riverfront at Dwarka. The road from Dwarka to Somnath is a costal road and you may take a few halts en route at Porbandar and one other place where the road almost touches the beach. There is a beach at Somnath too. You can definitely visit beach at Dwarka & Somnath.

Honestly speaking I did not like Porbandar beach .. it was stinking of rotten fish...best avoided.

Then you have to take a boat ride at Okha Jetty, when you visit Bet Dwarka. It is an island.

To sum it up.. you will find water and beaches everywhere.

CarLink

New Delhi, India
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

Thank You ,CarLink.You have been extremely helpful.

Rgds,

Nitin

Mumbai
Level Contributor
10,955 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

You are most welcome to raise all your doubts. It's my passion.

Happy to help.

CarLink

Edited: 09 July 2014, 14:17
Somnath, India
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

By train Delhi to Dwarka (19566 Uttranchal Express)

1 night halt at

Dwarka

2nd day go to Somnath by cab 230km via porbandar night halt at Somnath

3rd day go to Sasan Gir National Park (45km) Night at Somnath or Sasan Gir or go to Rajkot Airport for Return Delhi ( Rajlot about 200km)

4th day go to Rajlot Airport for Delhi (200km)

By Air India, Time:5:55 PM (1 Stop)

Happy journey

9. Re: Trip to Dwarka and Somnath from Delhi during january 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2015, 05:15