We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

Fred:

I'm sure you were not the one who had the topic closed during an ongoing discussion of the issue. We all know who did.

However my last post was as follows:

Fred:

I thought the checkpoints close on Yom Kippur. Do they remain open to tourists? Do you know if there is transport allowed in Arab East Jerusalem on Yom Kippur?

This is a valid question and the post should not be closed.

Thank you.

Free Bethlehem Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Murad Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Beyond Borders Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
1. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 16:04
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,761 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

In the past there has been a closure on Yom Kippur, this applies to Palestinians only. Roads are open and passage is permitted for everyone else.

Border crossings (e.g. ports, airports, Allenby Crossing, etc.) are closed on Yom Kippur. The crossing point to Bethlehem from Jerusalem will also be closed.

There is limited traffic on Yom Kippur.

There is no legal ban on traffic anywhere in the country on Yom Kippur, it is a matter of religious observance and respect for the many people who do not drive on this day. There will be transport in the Arab areas of East Jerusalem.

I hope that this answers your question.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

The 'official' 300 Checkpoint to Bethlehem will be closed on Yom Kippur. However for tourists there are other options for entry into Bethlehem. Contact me privately for more details.

---

Fred Schlomka

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

Oreets:

Thank you for always helping out.....you to Fred. Oreets I don't understand your first two paragraphs. First you say roads are open and passage is permitted for everyone except Palestinians. Then you say the crossing point to Bethlehem from Jerusalem will be closed. So how do you get across and how can you pass if the check point is closed?

Thank you Oreets.

5. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 20:43
West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

Sailingdays:

Sorry to see your posts get deleted no matter what you say. Thank you for the suggestion that I PM Oreets and Fred with my questions. I appreciate that and will do so. I agree that locals are a very good source of information.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

Thanks Rover. It is best to rely on the advice from the locals rather than those who live thousands of miles away.

Edited: 06 July 2010, 07:39
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

Last Yom Kippur, we rode our bicycles down all the way from the Old City of Jerusalem on Hebron Road to Checkpoint 300 (Rachel's Tomb), which was wide open. We went into Bethlehem, had a rest at a nice café and returned through Checkpoint 300, which was still wide open (for everyone except for Palestinians...)

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

Thank you Matzchik and everyone else. Your information is really helpful and greatly appreciated.

10. Re: West Bank Over Jewish Holiday

Removed on: 08 July 2010, 21:38
Get answers to your questions about Palestinian Territories