We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

We are planning to visit Bethlehem from Israel. We asked not to have our passports stamped at Tel Aviv airport and were given stamped slips of paper instead, however we were stopped and briefly questioned before we were allowed to leave the airport and later realised that the slips had not been returned to us with our passports. Will we have any trouble entering Palestine and returning again without the stamps?

Mentioned in this post
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
West Bank, Palestinian Territories
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,559 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

When you cross over to Bethlehem the only people checking your passports will be Israeli guards in order to ascertain that you are a tourist and so have the right to enter areas under Palestinian control. They will check your passports again when you return for the same reason - to see that you are tourists.

I don't know what difficulties you may encounter if you do not have the visa forms with your passports since they are the only indication that you entered Israel legally.

BTW - there currently is no country called Palestine and so they do not have any border control units.

Mentioned in this post
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
Israel
Israel
Middle East
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

When you leave immigration EVERYONE is given a piece of paper with a stamp and EVERYONE"s paper is collected around 5 feet further up. If your passport is not stamped---there is an alternative form you may be given, but from what i understand, it is not given all the time. The biggest consequence of not having it--you will not be able to rent a car or stay in a hotel without paying VAT. ( or you will have to convince them , somehow that you are in Israel as a tourist. )

I don't see a problem leaving the country--everything is in the computer.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
London
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

Thanks guys, that has put our minds at ease!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

I have crossed the checkpoints twice and no one ever looked at my visa stamp. The first time was the qalandia (sp) checkpoint where i walked through with the other members of our group. The Israeli soldiers stayed in their office and told us to scan the info page of our passport in a machine. The second time we crossed in a tour bus and as none of us were of mideastern origin -- all European or north American -- we were waved through with no check at all.

But, at the Akko bus station security checkpoint, the guard actually looled for my visa. (my stamp is in the passport).

Hope this helps.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
6 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

Crossed at Qalandia about a week and a half ago (by myself) and the soldiers in the security booth insisted on seeing the visa stamp. Don't know what they would have done if I didn't have it - Bethlehem may be different

Mentioned in this post
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,559 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

If you request not to have the visa stamped in your passport you need to make sure you keep the separate paper form that has your visa stamped in it - without it, you have no way to prove how you are here legally and you will need it when you leave the country - essentially that is your visa - it is simply on a separate form.

London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

Hi everyone.

I am hoping to enter the West Bank via Israel and have been informed that I can't get in without a special stamp in my passport for the West Bank. However, I have received mixed reports about this - some told me that this was an initiative that died a quick death.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Mentioned in this post
West Bank
West Bank
Palestinian Territories
Israel
Israel
Middle East
vancouver BC
Level Contributor
181 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

# 7 Never heard of this. Thousands of international visitors go back and forth every day. If there was such a stamp, we would have heard of it by now. Don't worry. As long as you have your entry stamp into Israel, you're fine.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

Thank you for the swift reply! I'm very grateful! xx

vancouver BC
Level Contributor
181 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entering Palestine without Israeli stamp in passport?

No worries -- we live to serve! :-)