We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how have you sent a deposit to your tour guide

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
how have you sent a deposit to your tour guide

I have contacted a tour guide for areas in the West Bank, and we have agreed on three one-day tours and his fees. I need to send a deposit to him. I have not been successful with Western Union or Money Gram (for various reasons), which was his request. If you have hired a tour guide, how have you sent your deposit to the West Bank or Israel prior to your arrival?

Free Bethlehem Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Murad Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Beyond Borders Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,882 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how have you sent a deposit to your tour guide

while i have no idea what the answer to your question is, you may be better off posting on the Israel forum, which is a much busier forum. Is your guide a Palestinian from the PA area, or an Israeli Jew ( just going to non-PA parts of West bank) or an Israeli Arab who can go all over. Share this information when if you post on the Israel forum--because the answer may be different.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how have you sent a deposit to your tour guide

Thank you!

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how have you sent a deposit to your tour guide

Western Union or Money Gram are cash transactions, and likely the income is not reported. Most reputable guides or tour companies in either Israel or the West Bank will accept credit cards, PayPal, or a bank transfer. It's irrelevant whether they are Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, as suggested by the previous poster. It's a matter of professionalism.

Bank transfers can be made just as easily from abroad to banks in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, or Ramallah. It takes 3-5 days from Europe or the USA. If the guide or tour company does not have a bank account then there is reason for suspicion.

---

Fred Schlomka

NJ
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how have you sent a deposit to your tour guide

I would not send money via wire transfer in advance. Once the money is gone you have Zero protections. Tell the guide you'll send a deposit via credit card or that you'll pay when you're there. Most reputable guides will work with you on this. If he is so worried about you not showing up have you him let you pay your deposit via credit card and then he can reverse the charge when you arrive and you can pay him in cash.

5. Re: how have you sent a deposit to your tour guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Palestinian Territories