We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Sea Food

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
I Sea Food

Hi Peter and other TAs:

You've said in past posts that Sete is a good place to try local catches. I have looked at the restaurant lists here but wonder if you would name your 2-3 ( or more) favorite places. We have a well behaved kid but still something casual/family style would be appropriate. I am hankering for a good bowl of moules frites but just any good food will do. There are no restrictions. Trip starts in a few weeks and I think I am Sete.

Thanks in advance

MP

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I Sea Food

There are obviously too many to have tried them all !

Some ideas :

Simple, but good : Restaurant L'Amphore ... On the fish market end of Quai Maximin Licciardi, this restaurant is more sophisticated inside, but locals go for the outdoors menu (tables placed and set in the street, evenings only). No reservations, queues start around 19.30. Menu is very simple - choose your fish kebabs and they are cooked on the bbq in front of you. Limited choice of veg, dessert, wines, etc.

Very good : http://www.restaurant-seletpoivre.com

Bouzigues (across the lagoon) is quieter and more relaxed :

Very good : http://www.restaurant-seletpoivre.com

Good : http://www.lemarin34.com

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=Restaurant%0Ala+palourdiere&hl=en&cd=1&ei=WZMtTIm5ItSPjAeStuHuDA&sll=43.446836,3.64222&sspn=0.002084,0.003449&ie=UTF8&view=map&ved=0CEYQgAc&ll=43.447303,3.657546&spn=0,0.003449&t=k&z=18&layer=c&cbll=43.447175,3.657722&panoid=e2VVtUQAG0raLq2lMdb9_A&cbp=12,322.87,,0,5

Charming traditional fish restaurants - walk along here check menus(some are by the kg) , and number of customers to choose

Bonne chance

Peter

Edited: 02 July 2010, 08:29
Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Sea Food

Oops !

Bouzigues very good restaurant link should be : la-cote-bleue.fr/fr/notre-restaurant-4.html

Peter

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Sea Food

Try "moules à la sétoise" , more of a local specialty than moules frites.

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I Sea Food

Peter,

You are pretty dependable. Thanks for coming through again with some names. I just want to have somewhere to aim for in case we find ourselves wandering hungy and confused.

Pvoyageuse,

Moules a la setoise sounds great. Question: is that stuffed mussels or mussels in a tomato and saffron sauce? And cod brandade : is it something WOW or more of a historical interest? A gourmet or gournand I am not, but just curious to learn about the Languedoc Roussillon terroir.

Can someone be honest and tell me if the trip to oyster beds is worthwhile? My definition of worthwhile: Guide speaking English and teaching us something about the science or business of oyster farming. A nice boat ride out to see the coast too of course. Is this TMTA (too much to ask)?

MP

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Sea Food

Moules à la sétoise are stuffed with sausage meat and coooked in a tomato/garlic/parsley etc..... sauce.

Brandade is a specialty of Nîmes. Not at all "historical" but very popular. A bit heavy for summer though.

There is a museum in Bouzigues "Musée de l'Etang" were you can learn about oysters.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I Sea Food

Read up about Brandade :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandade

everything2.com/index.pl…

Not sure how accurate this is, but I read that the Atlantic cod fishermen preserved their catch in salt from the Aigues Mortes salt pans (Nr Nimes). Sometimes they paid for the salt with salted cod, which the canny Nimois made into Brandade.

This would date it to after 1681.

Peter

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I Sea Food

My cod, those nifty Nimois proved they are worth their salts!

Frightful to think of sausage stuffed in mussels. Does the combo work?

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I Sea Food

Of course it does and it is delicious :-)

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I Sea Food

These sausages are different to those in UK and US.

Sausages contain meat in France !

Peter

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I Sea Food

I was in Sete this morning ( visiting the Dufy exhibition - the-languedoc-page.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php… ) and had lunch at L'Amphore.

It was good, but I've misled people in response 1 above.

The restaurant with the excellent outdoors BBQ'd fish is the one next door called Le Grilladin Cettoise. As stated it was closed for lunch.

Both have cheap fresh fish, so no harm done !

Sorry

Peter

Get answers to your questions about Sete