We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

Edinburgh Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

I am not able to decide where to go on our next holiday and at the moment it is between Phuket and Pinang are both resorts completly different are prices for meals out and T shirts and shoping in general the same in both resorts.

I have been to Ko Samui in the past and liked it but after reading some reviews I think Phuket is more suited to younger traveleers. At my age I like shoping and nice meals in a good restraunt and any advise on a good hotel would be most welcome

Any advise at all on these destinations would be most welcome and i woud be most greatful.

The Peaceful Pensioner

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Bearsden, Glasgow
Level Contributor
631 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

Birdie,

One of the main differences between Penang and Phuket is sea water quality. In Phuket you have many great beaches and can swim everywhere. This is not the case in Penang where the water quality is terrible (very murky) and there are many jellyfishes, making swimming in the sea nigh on impossible.

Also Phuket is split up into lots of different beach areas, quiet and busy areas and lots of little bays – and plenty of day trip possibilities to nearby islands and bays. The very busy beach area in Phuket is Patong, I think you should avoid that. Somewhere like Kata or Karon would probably appeal to you most (but plenty other beach areas too), they are more family oriented and if you want to go into the busy Patong then it’s only a short taxi journey.

Penang only really has one main beach area and that is Batu Ferringhi (some smaller beaches but not many and they’re not very nice or very popular) and none of them would I swim in. Also very limited possibilities for days trips to islands and snorkeling.

I think you should view Penang as more of a cosmopolitan/cultural/city break venue, which just happens to be an island, whereas Phuket is a holiday island with beaches galore, which is specifically geared up for beach style holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Batu Ferringhi
Batu Ferringhi
Penang Island, Malaysia
Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

I opine that my learned and informative friend Thistlegirl is correct but misses your required need for shopping and good restaurants.

Penang has many, many good quality hotels (most with swimming pools) and for food is one of the best places in the world.

There is lots to see and do on Penang Island and if you wish to lie on a beach then you can do that - but as said by TG don't go in the water.

If you decide on Penang, your next informed decison would be a hotel in Georgetown or out at Batu Feranghi?

Georgetown has the best hotel on the island - the E&O Hotel. Lots of restaurants and many places to explore. Myself, I prefer the Traders Hotel which is less 'fussy' but with excellent service. Georgetown has many shops and is close to Gurney Drive (rm12 taxi ride) for shopping (as is BF - they being roughtly equidistant) but much closer to Queensway Mall.

BF is a beach resort area with a number of very good hotels and restaurants aimed at visitors.It is about 25 - 30 minutes by taxi into Georgetown and will cost between rm 25 & rm30.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Gurney Drive
Gurney Drive
371 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

This is a no brainer, Phuket wins hands down.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
348 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

Hi,

Can't compare them as I have not been to Penang but have been to Phuket, which is a great place.

Like you I am into shopping and nice meals, and Phuket suited us perfectly for that. There are some really nice ones along the beach road in patong.

I know a lot of people are of the opinion that patong should be avoided however we found it a great resort and we were by no means looking for mad nightlife (I went with my husband, we are both 30).

In fact we liked it so much we had 3 days planned in Karon, however after the fist night we changed our reservation so that we could go back to Patong!

Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
777 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

i have yet to visit either, but have reserched both extensively for an upcoming visit. My guess Birdie is you are probably no longer a teenager like myself and enjoy eating out, shopping and taking in the local culture.My advice is to read the post of "ESORLEGIN' Who quite obviously is something of an area expert. My understanding is Phuket is great if you are young and like to party.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,594 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

birdie

Vote for Phuket

Bearsden, Glasgow
Level Contributor
631 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

I got the impression from Birdie that she was looking to something SIMILAR to Ko Samui, i.e a beach holiday place that isn’t overrun with 21 year olds on their annual pi$$ up, and somewhere she could have a relaxed time, good food and good shopping. Phuket has all of this. It isn’t just somewhere for the young, to the contrary it is a VERY popular island with families and older people. It has a universal appeal and something for everyone.

Reading Birdie’s post I had the same reaction as Rosli, “no brainer, gotta be Phuket”.

Penang is absolutely nothing like Ko Samui, not even remotely. The only thing they have in common is that they’re both islands.

Most people would agree that they wouldn’t go to Singapore if they were looking for a beach-style, relaxed island-holiday, as Singapore is a big built-up bustling city. Well, Penang is similar. It’s a densely populated island with a lot of industry, hussle & bussle and a busy daily life and traffic jams.

Both Penang and Phuket are good for shopping and eating out, Phuket has the edge with hotels as Penang really only has two top-notch resorts and Phuket has many. I would argue that Penang has the edge with food as I think it’s the best food in Malaysia and I prefer the Malaysian kitchen to the Thai.

Like Lisa, I quite like the buzz of Patong beach, but can understand that it’s too busy for some. That’s the beauty of Phuket, it has diversity. It has quite resort areas and busy beach areas, it has discos and nightlife for the young and complete tranquility for the more sedate amongst us. Penang doesn’t have this diversity. It has one beach area with a handful of hotels and a nightmarket every evening.

What Penang does have that Phuket doesn’t is cultural diversity, old architecture, heritage and a much more city-feeling. You can occupy yourself all day on Penang without ever going near the beach. The same can’t be said of Phuket as Phuket is more tranquil.

I’m not in to lazing on the beach or the soaking up the sun, that is why I personally prefer Penang to Phuket. I get bored if I lie on a beach for more than an hour. I adore Penang, I think it has a lot to offer… but it is by no matter of means even a reasonably pretty tropical island getaway… it’s a big city stuck out in the water, lol. If you’re looking for idyllic beaches, snorkeling, boat trips etc (somewhere like Ko Samui) then Penang is absolutely not what you’re looking for. If and when I feel the need for a “beach style” holiday in Malaysia then I head to Langawi or to the east coast of Malaysia, the east coast of Malaysia has beautiful beaches and nice clear seas. Penang is more like a smaller, less modern version of a big city island like Singapore, its beach is more of a coincidence than a selling point.

If like me you like the hussle & bussle of busy towns, a fast paced place with busy city life but still take a stroll over the beach then Penang is perfect. It’s just not tranquil or relaxed. But it has a great buzz to it and some of the best street food you will find anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

Hi Birdie,

One more comment re your post, my husband and I used to live in Penang (he is a local) and we have since lived between Sydney and Thailand (soon to relocate back there). There is more to Phuket than Patong, look at other areas on the island that have nice hotels e.g Karon or Rawi on the other side of the island. You can always spend the day shopping in Phuket town or at Patong without being located in the thick of it. Also check out BYD Loft's www.bydlofts.com in Patong area, we stayed there last year when they first opened. Nice apartments, not on Patong but close enought to walk to. They have a nice restaurant also, and just along the road is a nice coffee/ German bakery where you can have a nice pastry and coffee and from memory they have complimentary internet facilities.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket Town
Phuket Town
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Edinburgh Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

Thanks a lot for all your replys and I think I will now combine a holiday in Singapore with Phuket.

Thanks again to you all for your advise

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Me Decide Please Pinang or Phuket

Hi Birdie

I will back up the other posters and say I think Phuket is better. I am in my late forties and have been to Penang and Phuket in the last twelve months. I loved Penang but I loved Phuket more. However we stayed in Kata and in our brief trips to Patong I didn't like it at all.

We are planning another trip to Phuket next year, but don't know if we will ever get back to Penang, that probably says it all. It is definitely worth going for a few days to have a look though, and as other posters have said, the history, multiculturalism and architecture are fascinating.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Patong