We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snake Temple-yes or no

Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Snake Temple-yes or no

I've read reviews that say this is pretty poor and not worth going to.

Any thoughts?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,932 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

For me, and IMPO, no.

Others will say otherwise, but I hate it!

Its a personal thing!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

Snake Temple, built in the year 1850, is near to the Penang International Airport, about 5km.

The temple has just been restored last year and reopened in end of January this year. The snakes in the temple are poisonous Pit Vipers!

While there are only a few snakes seen in the main prayer hall's altar. Most of the snakes however, can be seen coiling on the trees in the chamber next to the main prayer hall.

Burning of joss sticks within the prayer hall is now prohibited, as the smoke irritates the snakes and may shorten their life span. During festive season's temple celebration, eg Chinese New Year, snakes are removed from the temple. This is to prevent the snakes from overtaxing due to the noise and smokes by the crowds. The snakes were removed too during the restoration work last year. Perhaps that's the reason why some said not worth going coz there aren't any snakes??

Within the temple compound, there's also a snake farm, run by a 3rd party. Very informative place, with a minimum entrance fee of MYR5. There are other small animals in the farm, - rabbits, iguanas, guinea pigs etc.

According to the staff at the snake farm, the owner believes that having other animals in the farm balance up the "yin" and the "yang". The snake farm also provides care to the pit vipers in the temple.

Whether worth paying a visit or not, it's up to individual opinions. Some visitors might feel not worth going, maybe because they have purposely made a trip there (from town) and did not find a lot of snakes in the temple (as mentioned, there are times when the snakes are removed from the temple).

My suggestion is, if you are arriving/departing by flights, and if time permits, you could easily stop by enroute from/to the airport.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

if i could only visit one temple while in penang, i would chose the kek lok si temple over the snake temple.

but its just my personal opinion.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

Not worth visiting to see a few snakes.

Unless you had not seen a small snake before???

sydney
Level Contributor
130 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

I went there 2 years ago and it was a long trek (it's near the airport) and definitely not worth the effort.

penang's charm lies in other area's, and there are plenty of other things to see and do, this would be close to the bottom of the list.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

Thanks everyone!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

Hi, there are actually two parts of the snake temple.

The main part - altar room and temple as mentioned by Ami, is a complete tourist trap. I've been in there a few times, what the guys do is grab a snake, throw it over your neck suddenly, snap a polaroid and charge you RM 40 per picture, Avoid those guys!!!!!!

The small entrance to the farm is run by a chinese family, I think they charged RM 5 per entry for non-Malaysians and RM 2 for MyKad holders the last time. The farm is much much more interesting than the temple. They've got a huge giant python in the cage and many other snakes in glass aquariums and the owner and his wife takes the python out of the cage (depending on the mood of the snake) and allows tourists to take pictures with the snake, free of charge of course. The whole family is very entertaining, told us loads of stories about snakes and how they behave. Even their two daughters bring tourists around explaining how poisonous each snake is (their daughters only speak Mandarin and Hokkien).

My advice - go to the temple for pictures and the snake farm for the real snakes!

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

HI

It was a waste of time in the seventys tried it again last year still no good don't waste your time or money the snakes are drugged

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

My thoughts - GO FOR IT.

I am back in PNG on Monday and will visit again - not so much for the Temple as it has lost much of it's appeal over the last 20 years - BUT, the collection of snakes and other reptiles out in the 'back yard' is well worth a vist - you can learn so much.

Did you know that a cobra will 'fake' a strike' and hiss 3 times beofre it really tries to bite you.

A bit like LA law - 3 strikes and then YOU are OUT.

Try it - it is worth the effort.

10. Re: Snake Temple-yes or no

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Penang Island