We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Batu Feringgi Night Markets

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Batu Feringgi Night Markets

What time do these street markets start operating?

How much would it cost me to get a taxi from Georgetown to Batu Feringgi?

Sydney
Level Contributor
679 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Batu Feringgi Night Markets

No idea about the price of taxi from GT to BF? You may have to haggle. As for ball park figure, you may like to check with the hotel you are staying. Street markets start from 7pm or as soon as it is dark which is normally around 7pm.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,341 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Batu Feringgi Night Markets

Hi Pamies

You can easily and safely catch a bus from Georgetown to BF from the main bus station near Komtar, which will leave every 15 minutes or so. I can't remember the bus number, but there will be people all over the place you can ask. We often use this bus service for trundling about all over the place and find it to be cheap and the service regular.

The night market starts to set up around 5 - 6ish from memory, so it might be a good idea to come about 6.30ish, have some dinner and then a wander through the markets. You would also be perfectly safe to bus it back to Georgetown at the end of your evening.

As a matter of interest, we don't travel on a shoe string, it's just that using local public transport when safe and sensible to do so can be more interesting (and definately cheaper) than just being whisked from point A to point B in an air conditioned cocoon.

Have a great time. We'll be back there in May.

Travelkat

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Batu Feringgi Night Markets

Thanks travelkat88

We are only there for 7 hours as a stop on our Virgo cruise. The ship docks at 2.00pm and we plan to take the buses to Penang Hill then back down again and over to Batu Feringgi by bus.

We need to be back at the ship by 10.00pm, it sails at 11.00pm.

How much time do we need to walk along the market stalls?

Do you think we could manage this? Do you know how long the bus and a taxi take from BF to the jetty/port?

Thanks

Pam

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,341 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Batu Feringgi Night Markets

Oh Pamies,

Of course, I just realised, you'll be on the cruise. Puts a different complexion on the situation, so definately a taxi would be the go rather than mucking about with buses and whatnot. However, don't know whether it would be worth while going all the way to BF just for the night markets as I believe the Gurney Drive markets are pretty good and are closer to Georgetown. I haven't been there, but hopefully you can get some info from someone else on the forum who has.

There's a good shopping centre there too - Gurney Plaza. There's also a very good one in Georgetown just near Komtar, either of which would be good for day time shopping. Can't remember the name of the one in Georgetown, but you'll pick it up easily off the forum. I've bought some really great stuff there, so it's well worth a visit. There used to be a Parkson Grand there also, but it was a bit run down last time I was there, so don't know if it still operates.

You'll find Penang cheaper than K.L.

Travelkat (the shopaholic)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Batu Feringgi Night Markets

Thanks travelkat88

Will have to shop in Penang then, just love bargains!!!!!!!!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,132 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Batu Feringgi Night Markets

HI

Batu Ferringhi, Georgetown and Gurney Drive are all areas in Penang . . . . . so of course you will have shop in Penang.

Bargains, as always, depend on what you are shopping for and the Ex rates. What sort of thing are you looking for in your bargains, then perhaps, we can direct you a bit more to the best place to visit.

With such a short trip, don't rush it and risk missing the boat. Using taxis will be a better option. Although the prices to rise when there is a cruise ship in town, but expect to pay 50myr from Batu Ferringhi back to the port, or 25myr from Gurney Plaza back to the port. The bus is a good option, http://www.rapidpg.com.my/, but with such a whistle stop tour why not just use the taxis. The drivers won't use the meters, but read the FAQs on the right of this page to research costs so you know what to bargain with.

The trip to Penang Hill will take a couple of hours, as once you are up the hill, there is not much there. A visit to Kek Lok Si is a better visit.

It takes around 30mins to get from Batu Ferringhi to the port, but if you allow an hour you will have more than sufficent time. To be honest, once you have walked 100m along the BF night market (which starts setting up around 6-7pm as the sun sets) the products being sold are pretty much a muchness. So you will have an hour or so to walk along the market, which to be honest is more than enough.

You will find the same stuff for sale in the streets off Penang Road (Lebuh Cambell area). You have the modern mall of Times Square (near Komtar) and the more asian style mall (but no MBK) of Praglin Mall again next to Komtar, where you will find lots of nice stuff - its where the Parkson is. There is also a food court, Red Garden at the top end of Penang Road (opposite Soho)

There is a great food hawkers centre next to Gurney Plaza mall at the end of Gurney Drive, but there is no night market there. Just food and the mall.

Similar to TravelKat, Mr Mitch and I love a good shop.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,341 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Batu Feringgi Night Markets

Hi Mitch

Thanks. It's Praglin Mall. I'd forgotten the name. I reckon it's a really great place to shop and Pammies, you will love all the shoes, shoes, shoes and bags galore. All sorts of other interesting trinkety sorts of stuff too if I remember correctly. Cosmetics in Parkson were really good also.

So Parkson is still there. That's really interesting as last time we were there (almost 2 years ago) it seemed to be running down on stock, so I sadly surmised that they were going to close. I always found that one much better than the one at Gurney Plaza for prices and bargains.

Anyway, we're going back in May and I'm honing my shopping skills in anticipation. Yum.

Travelkat

8. Re: Batu Feringgi Night Markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 06:19