We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

Hi, we are a family of four- 2 kids aged 5 and 1. We are going to Penang in January and trying to decide whether to stay in Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi. We are on a budget but want to stay at a place that at least has a pool for the kids. We will most likely go to the beach regularly due to the kids but we are not the type to spend all day at the beach- we like exploring. However, at the same time, we don't want to have to do too much travelling around with a potentially tired and cranky 1 yr old just to get to good food places, markets etc. My questions are:

1) What is the minimum amount of time people would recommend to go to incorporate relaxation plus exploration of the island (don't want to feel rushed or as though we are missing out on stuff)

2) Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi as our base? and

3) Any personal recommendations for family friendly but cheaper end hotels? In Batu Ferringhi I was looking at Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort- but some reviews say these are a bit out of the way

Thanks for your help : )

Down Under
Level Contributor
709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

How long are you planning to stay? We stayed 10 days and made every 2nd day a rest day and hung around the Hotel/beach and BF. I probably wouldn't stay any less than 7 days, it depends what you want to get up to. Even with 10 days we didn't get to see everything, there is no way my boys were interested in the Butterfly farm and we stayed at the Spice Garden for all of an hour (this place was great, especially if you are foodies and love to cook). But we felt that we saw what we could and have left something for next time. I have replied to your message Valeska, good luck with your planning.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

many people seem to split their time between Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi ..BUT IMO prefer settling in to one place for the entire time ....in addition to the hotels you have looked at .. take a look at the Rainbow Paradise Beach Resort ...and whilst it is not in Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi .. it is round the half way mark between the two areas .. and situated right on the beach at Tunjung Bungah ..A further advantage of this hotel is that you can get a TWO bedroom suite which has a large living area ...two bathrooms and three balconies ..all of which face the sea...the pool there is very child friendly and the beach area not as crowded

As far as sight seeing round Penang ..would suggest you contact Ocean Jupiter who will look after you like a VIP ..modern cars with aircon and can tailor a tour as you desire ... cost ... minimum four hours which will set you back round the RM100.00

Holiday Inn is not out of the way ...but very close to places to eat and right amid the night markets..Bayview ..yes a fair walk from the hotel to eat out and the night markets ..but they do have a shuttle bus and it just a RM10.00 taxi ride to the action...but then the same applies to the Rainbow Paradise ..round the RM20.00 by taxi or the free hotel shuttle bus

Hope this helps you ..feel sure that the kids would enjoy a visit to the butterfly farm ..which can be part of the trip you do with Ocean Jupiter

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

I asked the same question as we have 5 nights and we chose Georgetown because the opinion given was that if you are staying like 10 days, split it half in Georgetown and half in BF. but less than a week ....Georgetown as there is much to see and you won't need to travel.

We thought that sounded sensible, so we chose a hotel with a pool and we will head to BF for the night market one evening.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

Was going to ask same question, interested to see your replies. We stayed at the Holiday Inn last trip, which was enjoyable and a great location to night markets and food. We don't use beach at all so I am thinking our next trip we might try Georgetown as I want to be near many shopping centres and food outlets. I would rather be close then have to travel with little kids. I plan to go to BF 1 evening to go to markets, but I don't think from memory there was anything else to do there if you don't plan to use beach. I am yet to find any hotels in Georgetown as I am sure what location exactly would be best. Seems to be much more to do in GT though.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

I have booked Noordin Mews hotel. The reviews are consistently excellent and state that it's close to shopping and food and bus station.

It has a pool and helpful staff.

However I have only been to penang for 1 day 35 years ago so have no clue....but I am excited about this hotel and visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,092 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

I was faced with the same dilema so split my time between the 2. For me I made the right choice. You get to enjoy both a city and beach atmosphere.

Tommo

7. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Penang Island