We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

Hello,

We are an Australian family with two young boys aged 5 and 1. We are trying to decide between Langkawi or Penang for our next family holiday. We want a place we can use as our base, where there is enough to see/entertain the little ones around the local area by foot but is also nearby to other places for day trips etc. We are not the kind to sit at our resort all day- we like exploring but not to the point of exhaustion! Our main enjoyments whilst travelling include:

- Cheap yummy food (we are foodies)

- Pretty natural environments (that can at least be reached during a day trip)

- Great market shopping (not interested in handbags/raybans etc but love browsing through markets selling local handicrafts, jewellery, etc)

- Nice local day trips suitable for a 1 and 5 yr old

- Cultural interaction

We were leaning towards Penang in terms of more to do as we are not the type to spend all day at a beach or hotel (we prefer exploring but at a relaxed pace). However, my concerns are whether it will be too 'full on' for our 1 yr old with regard to hustle and bustle/traffic etc pushing a pram (and that he might get over travelling the 40 mins between Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi where we would probably stay) It also seems a shame that, even though we are not beach people, you can't swim at the beach but I guess a hotel with a pool will suffice for the kids!

My concern with Langkawi is it may be too quiet for us (as mentioned, we don't want to sit on a beach all day, and we love local markets and yummy food)

We are thinking of going for about 10 days in either January or early April, and don't want to do too much travelling as this will not sit well for our 1 yr old and 5 yr old (the plane trips from Australia to Malaysia will be hard enough!)

Thanks for any assistance

Valeska

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Batu Ferringhi
Batu Ferringhi
Penang Island, Malaysia
Freshnest
Gift & Speciality Shops
Penang Batik Factory
Gift & Speciality Shops
Penang
Gift & Speciality Shops
Farlim Pasar Malam
Flea & Street Markets
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

IMO ...I would pick Penang .. pushing a pram around may give you a bit of trouble in either place.. footpaths are not the best and the kerbs are high so the water from heavy downpours can escape fast.. both kids would enjoy IMO the butterfly farm and you need to take into account the hot weather there ..especially for the younger one and the high humidity...nightly you will find the markets along the main drag at BF

Lots of cheap places to eat .. eg Long Beach Hawkers Centre is very central

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

Hi I also second Penang very family friendly. Mine were 2,7 & 9 the first time we came and will be back for our 3rd visit too. Lots to see and do. Butterfly garden, spice garden is good for kids and adults alike, they have a snakes and ladders playground which is quite fun for the little ones. If you choose to stay at golden sands, they have a great kids club/adventure zone ( indoor playground) with a 0-4 section and then 4 and above - the boys will love it. Great cheap food to be found every where!!

Enjoy

Ang

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

From your info Penang would be much better. There is far more to see and do.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

Thanks but now I'm really confused- someone on Langkawi forum said Penang too busy for young kids- not suitable with traffic etc ESP in Georgetown (which we want to visit)- thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

again IMO Penang will be better for the ENTIRE family after travelling there for the past 27 years

Down Under
Level Contributor
709 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

If travelling to Penang definitely stay in BF and visit GT. I don't think you could go wrong with either Penang or Langkawi they are both beautiful places and I am sure you will enjoy your family holiday. I have enjoyed both destinations with kids and couldn't really pick one over the other. Do one this trip and the other next time around...simple.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

Thanks guys- I normally wouldn't fret this much but travelling with a 1 yr old is a new experience for us and choice of destination becomes much more crucial. Some have suggested Thailand eg. An island plus Chiang Mai may be more suitable with a 1 yr old but Malaysia is a shorter flight and for some reason Penang is appealing to me more ATM!

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Down Under
Level Contributor
709 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

Make your decision and go with it....easier said than done. You will not be disappointed with Penang. I know what it is like to try and plan with kids, we went to Bali for our first O/S trip...never again, you live and learn. malaysia will be great for you. Have fun planning

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

Definately Penang...

Barooga, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Penang or Langkawi Family holiday 2 young kids

Do both! Penang is OK but I'm not sure what you are expecting to find there that will keep a five year old occupied; I'm guessing that you are the one year old's entertainment. There is the resort life with pool and other attractions. The beach but lots of jelly fish when I was there. Went sight seeing in Georgetown which was fine and tours of spice garden etc but but not sure if five year old will be suitably distracted.

If you split your time between the two islands you can fly to Penang and then catch the ferry to Langkawi. Now this island is my idea of paradise. The island is so laid back and so familiar with well made roads, an eco friendly philosophy and it's Duty Free! You can easily hire a car and it is very safe and interesting. You can do the cable car or just explore the shops there. Go to the North of the island and see wild monkeys. The main port area of Kuah is also interesting and has some cheap shopping and sightseeing.

We have always stayed in the Pantai Cenang - Pantai Tengah area which are very close to one another. There is a great shopping complex with an excellent aquarium.

I think not being the resort types will limit you because they are both resort destinations. Why not ditch the kids and do Langkawi by yourselves. It really is paradise.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi