We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

Hi TA have there been any new Penang beachside resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or any existing hotels refurbished/renovated? Cheers

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

Hi I think you will find that most of the reasonable resorts are always doing renovations/upgrades. We stay at Golden sands and they had major renovations done a few years ago, but on my most recent visit, i did notice lots of upkeep going on, such as painting and replacing shade sails etc..

As far as I am aware the parkroyal is also in the process of gradually renovating rooms, however I can't comment personally. The Lone Pine also next to Golden Sands went through a complete refurbishment about 2 years ago.

Those are the only ones I know of though. Your best bet is to go through the list on trip advisor and narrow it down. They will give you pics and reviews on places .

cheers

Angela

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

theres gna be a new sheraton at tanjung bungah

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

Newly refurbished and opened last month Four Points by Sheraton

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

Thanks for your responses I will look into further and are there local Malay restaurants within walking distance to these? Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

Four points is very isolated

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

Four Points is hardly isolated! Prime spot on the the Tanjung Bungah beach front. May be a bit noisy if you have a room at the back so always go for sea view. As for eating it's on the main road a short distance from the Chinese Swimming Club with their excellent Mandarin Kitchen which anyone can eat in (unlike the Penang Swimming Club), Viva food court, Indian restaurants across the road and up the hill, short 5 minute taxi to Tesco with its various eateries, or to Straits Quay for a myriad of restaurants, or to Island Plaza with the new Precint 10 complex, and more food courts, or to Fettes Park for everyone's favourite No Eyed Deer and lots of local restaurants for Nasi Kandar etc etc. And all at "local" prices.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

Yea..do check out Four Points By Sheraton at Tanjung Bungah. Or..probably...Hard Rock Penang

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

I guess it is what each refers to be as being close. To get to the majority of places mentioned you will need to catch a cab. As far as the four points concerned

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

All I can repeat is what I've said. Guess it probably does feel isolated if you live in Sydney! You can walk to most of the places I've mentioned - Viva and Chinese Swimming Club will take about 2-3 minutes. I live here so drive past it on a daily basis. Tonight I timed it to Island Plaza (for Precinct 10, Fettes Park etc) and it took 4 minutes.

10. Re: New resorts or hotels opened 2013? Or newly refurbished?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Penang Island