We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety concerns in Malaysia

Winnipeg, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Safety concerns in Malaysia

Two young girls ( 18) travelling to Malaysia. What are the safety concerns?

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,179 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

On Penang the major issue is bag snatching, often carried out by motorcyclists. Probably no different from anywhere else in the world. As long as the girls don't carry everything with them when they go out and keep shoulder bags away from the outside pavement edge they should be fine. They'll probably be much safer than in many other parts of the world.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,419 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

No safety concerns . Just the normal sort of safety you would consider when visiting any strange place.

When many go on holiday they let their guard down!!

Only concern might be remembering to smile and say your pleases and thank yous, especially when you are so young!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,202 posts
1,654 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

Do the same as what you would do in Canada....common sense.

Tommo

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

Watch out for the pickpockets on the buses.

Down Under
Level Contributor
653 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

I always feel completely safe in Malaysia, whether it be Langkawi, Penang our KL. My boys 13 and 11 run free thru the night markets in Batu Ferringhi, within reason of course. But obviously there will slwayts be an element of danger anywhere. Common sense should prevail and I agree about them being respectful and polite, it goes a long way.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

Tell the young girls not to follow strangers home...not to follow them and walk into some dark alley / back lane. Stay and walk around places with lots of people, dont leave their belongings unattended. Dont flash your money around....dont flash their "flesh" around (especially if they intend to visit some temple or other place of worship)....use common sense.....whatever mummy / daddy taught about being "safe".

Winnipeg, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about safety concerns for my daughter and niece in Malaysia.

I have passed on the info to them. They are both polite and respectful but this is their first time travelling by themselves so I worry about them being too trusting. Thanks again

Winnipeg, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

Thank you for your help. They are looking at inexpensive places to stay and we're thinking of staying at a " bed and breakfast" type of accommodation they found on line. I'm worried about this as there is little information and no way to judge if it's legitimate or not. They are both very pretty , young looking and first time travellers. My daughter and I have travelled fairly extensively in Europe, USA and Israel but never to the Far East and neither of them have travelled by themselves. I am a big proponent of taking a gap year after high school to travel which is what they are doing, so I don't want to stifle their excitement but want to make sure they do it safely. I worry about them being targeted because of their youth and naïveté.

Thanks again.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
436 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

Hi Winnipeg I have done a little of Asia from the age of 18 and never had trouble especially in Malaysia. Very safe and honest. Maybe tell them to carry business card of where they are staying so taxi drivers will always understand where they going and get them back safe and keep a photo of their passport with them and one with you at home. In regards to bed and breakfast there are many extremely cheap places in BF. Maybe try D'Ferringhi Hotel or YMCA. They will have fun

Lakewood, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety concerns in Malaysia

Check into the YMCA for possible inexpensive and safe accommodations in Penang. On a different note, have them carry a sarong in their bag to cover bare shoulders or legs if they plan on visiting Temples, most travelers dress for the warm weather and don't realize there may be modesty etiquette.