We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomadition in Punakaki

sydney
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accomadition in Punakaki

Was wondering if anyone can give me some recent recommendation for accomadition in Punakaki?

I have already tried quite a few places for Sun 16th Feb and they are already booked out . I did just realise it is most probably because of Valentines Day ( which is my Birthday ) they are booked out . There doesn't seem much choice here for accomadition should I be looking somewhere else close by ? Will be driving from Arthurs Pass & after 1 night at Punakaki plan to drive down to Franz Joseph for a couple of nights. Any thoughts ??

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomadition in Punakaki

As you have discovered there isnt a lot of accomodation choice in Punakaiki. Greymouth is about 45 min away so may be a suitable option to stay in greymouth then pop up to Punakaiki before heading two and a half hours down to Franz Josef.

high tide at Punakai is 11.30 am which is the best time to observe the blow holes if there is much swell running so you will have ample time to get up to Punakaki before the high tide

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomadition in Punakaki

A wonderful place to stay.

we stayed in a holiday home and it was wonderful.

there are lots of options check out www.punakaiki.co.nz

sydney
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomadition in Punakaki

I've looked at the Punakaiki Beach Hostel. It has good reviews. Has anyone stayed there and specifically at their Sunset Cottage?

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomadition in Punakaki

I have stayed at that hostel and it is very close to the beach. I think the Sunset Cottage is a stand alone building on the same property. A pub is close by for those who wish to eat out. There is another hostel worth checking out, the Te Nikau retreat set amongst the bush. Both of these places provide excellent value and I would recommend either of them.

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomadition in Punakaki

We stayed at the Punakaiki resort and would highly recommend it. Our room looked straight out on the water. I think it was room 113 - right next to reception. The resort is situated right on the beach. Punakaiki was a real surprise....we were really impressed with the beauty of the area and the drive along the coast.

sydney
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomadition in Punakaki

Thanks Jalay - Yes I did try that accommodation but it is already booked out being the weekend of Valentines Day not many choices left . I do like the idea of being close to the beach .

7. Re: Accomadition in Punakaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2017, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Punakaiki