We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

Which La Linea de la Concepcion hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wirral
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
car hire

can anyone recommend a car hire company in la linea that will accept a debit card for security deposit and fuel charge we only have 1 credit card with low limit for emergencies,that will pay for hire but not for fuel and security deposit we have booked holiday and did not realise this was a problem please help we are staying in chiclana so car hire is vital

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire

Hi Andre

We fly into Gibraltar every year when we holiday in Chiclana and pick up a car in La Linea. I have to say that I have my doubts you will get a car with a debit card as we always have to use a credit card. Take a look on the Malaga forum as there is a big thread there about hiring a car with a debit card and you might pick up some advice. The only time we tried to pick up a car with a debit card we were turned down, this was quite a number of years ago at Malaga, we ended up getting the bus into Malaga and then another bus to Almuñecar where we were holidaying. This was entirely our own fault as we had not read the T&Cs properly where is specifically stated "credit card only" and it was my teenage son who noticed what his dad and I had failed to do.

In the past I have booked my cars through www.travelsupermarket.com but this year I used www.DoYouSpain.com and collected my car from EuropCar at the Focona Car Park in La Linea. I had the car for 28 days as we spent 15 in Chiclana and a further 12 in Olvera, the total cost was under 600 pounds. Sorry I have a Spanish keyboard so no 'pounds sign'. I have a credit card issued by Santander which has a limit of 1,500 pounds on it and I use this only for car hire purposes in Spain, most times I put the money in to cover the account before we leave home so it is a credit card in name only. That actually could be the answer, put the money into your credit card before you leave so you are in credit and you will still have your 'emergency fund' when away from home.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but if this is your first time in Chiclana and you would like to know anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 24 August 2012, 08:36
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire

You could check with www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

wirral
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire

Thank you so much for your advice ,I have done as you suggested and pre loaded my card .

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire

Have a wonderful time in Chiclana. It is now 50 sleeps until my son and I go back to Olvera for 12 days.

Lindsay

Huddersfield...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire

Don't book with Automotive.

We booked a Clio with them in August and when we arrived they tried to give us a Picanto - no good if you're 6ft tall and actually need a car with 5 seats. Four other people on the same flight were also given Picanto's and had the same problem.

They eventually gave us a 3 year old Polo but it had just come of hire and hadn't been cleaned or refuelled and only had 1/4 tank of diesel. If a company can have so little regard for their customers when you collect a car from them I should not have been as surprised as I was when they hit my credit card with a fictitious €30 fuel charge a couple of days after we returned it with exactly the same amount of fuel.

Apparently I am a dishonest person and they allege we returned the car empty - needless to say they have not returned my €30.

6. Re: car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about La Linea de la...