We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

My husband and I are staying at Turtle Bay Beach for two weeks next month. It is our first time in Kenya and we can't wait!!

Anybody have any advice about what strength DEET we'll need? And approx. how much we will need for 2 adults/2 weeks?

Also, we are expecting some rain, possibly for a couple of days out of the two weeks? And rain most evening? Does this sound about right? I've heard that we will probably need a sweater in the evenings, is that true?

Is is worth taking snorkel & mask or will the ocean be too cloudy/too rough/too much seaweed to see anything?

Any advise / suggestions about what to do / see whilst there would be greatly recevied. We are not particularly interested in going on a safari (I know....going to Kenya and not doing a safari is a little weird!).

Vaccinations: Our GP has recommended Swine Flu and Cholera jabs and a course of malaria tablets. Also, we have been told to get the Yellow Fever jab which we've been quoted at £52 each. Does that sound about right?

Looking forward to experiencing all the good things that Trip Advisor visitors have to say about Turtle Bay! Jambo!!!

Thanks,

Ness

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

Hi,

The percentage of DEET refers to how long the application lasts see this from Guidelines for Malaria Prevention in Travellers from the UK:

"Duration of protection is 1 to 3 hours for 20%, up to 6 hours for 30% and up to 12 hours for 50% DEET. There is no further increase in duration of protection beyond a concentration of 50%. Sweat-off time varies with activity. The interval between applications depends on this as well as the DEET formulation and concentration used."

Be careful with it, as well as removing nail varnish: "DEET applications can damage some plastic watch straps, watch 'glasses' and plastic jewellery; these items should not be allowed to come into contact with DEET."

Some natural repellents, such as citronella are effective but need to be applied more frequently. Lots of people on this forum recommend Avon Skin So Soft, which contains Picaridin which is has been developed to be as effective as DEET but without the nasty side effects.

For weather, it should be the tail end of the Long Rains, but that does not means it rains all day or even every day, and there will be lots of sun and it will still be hot, see the FAQ on the Mombasa forum page, lots of useful info there

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294210-s208/Mombas…

As for vaccinations you only need to be up to date on the ones recommended for an adult living in the UK, you do not need any others

Suffolk
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

Great, thanks for the info! I didn't realise that the DEET percentage related to the effective time.

I wonder why our doctor said that we HAD to have Yellow Fever...I'd rater not if we don't have to!

Do you think that long sleeved tops/sweaters will be needed for the evenings?

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

Hi,

My partner and I are off to Kenya in June also, and our GP has advised Yellow fever. We are going to have it, as you can be asked to produce the certificate on arrival and we don't want to risk it!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

popski

You absolutely do not need a yellow fever jab for a straightforward holiday in Kenya with no connecting flights through other African countries. It is extremely unlikely you could come into contact with it. There has only ever been one occurrence of YF in Kenya – a small outbreak in a remote part of the Rift Valley in the early 1990s (the first and last time it has occurred) – and no tourist has ever caught the disease in Kenya. Please save your money.

Richard

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

Wow - so we definitely won't be asked for a certificate? We are going to Tanzania aswell, does that make a difference? We have our jabs booked for this week, but I'm certainly up for saving £110 if it's not necessary.

Lianne

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

If you are crossing into Tanzania then you'll need the jab, as they have been asking for the certificate. Pole (sorry).

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

Ah ok, had a feeling it might make a difference. Thanks for that.

8. Re: Which strength DEET? Temperatures in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 05:15