We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! What's the likelihood of Malaria in Watamu?

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
5 posts
Save Topic
Help! What's the likelihood of Malaria in Watamu?

Hi,

I'm going on a safari to Watamu and I'm just wondering if I should get the drugs for protection against Malaria or not.

Thanks!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! What's the likelihood of Malaria in Watamu?

YES ! go to your GP and discuss it with him/her

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! What's the likelihood of Malaria in Watamu?

Should be top of your list of things to get.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! What's the likelihood of Malaria in Watamu?

"What's the likelihood of Malaria in Watamu"?

Very high

You shouldn't even consider coming to Kenya (any part of Kenya) without anti-malarials

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! What's the likelihood of Malaria in Watamu?

Any trip to sub-Saharan Africa requires antimalarial protection. This is usually in the form of tablets that have to be taken BEFORE, DURING and AFTER your trip. You must complete the whole course.

For choices as to what medicines are available and which would suit you best VISIT YOUR DOCTOR. Yes, you'll have to pay for them, and they're not cheap, but malaria is very serious and often fatal. Indeed if you don't take them, I would think that any health insurance cover you had taken out might not pay up if you caught malaria from your trip but had not taken antimalarials. Malaria is a real risk, and you can't prevent it effectively by topical measures or non-allopathic medications.

GO TO YOUR DOC!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! What's the likelihood of Malaria in Watamu?

Absolutely!

6. Re: Help! What's the likelihood of Malaria in Watamu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:40