We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach boys

Nottingham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach boys

HELP! Just came back from the most amazing holiday at Turtle Bay Beach Club. While we were there we spent lots of time with one of the beach boys who took us to many different places including to his home to meet his wife. Of course this is his job and we paid him for this but when we left we exchanged mobile numbers and email addresses. The day after we got home he phoned to see if we arrived home ok and then txt a few days later to say his emails werent getting through to me. Today I received a txt message begging me for help as his father was very sick and he needs 250000 KS to pay the hospital bill and could I send him the money. I feel split between wanting to help and not wanting to be conned, has anyone else got any advice please!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach boys

This is one of the most common lies you will get from Kenyans. The old Mother/Father in hospital story, or the kid can't go to school as they have no school fees. They are about to be evicted as they can't pay the rent.

The sooner you forget this chap the better. Your seen simply as a potential cash point machine. The chances are that the home and wife were not even his as well.

Sorry to be so brash but its true.

Edited: 18 August 2012, 20:10
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach boys

Be very wary. I would not pay. In fact I would stop all communication.

Near London
Level Contributor
119 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach boys

You are an easy touch & he is working a number on you ingratiating himself and then hitting you for cash on your return. It is a con a BIG con. Quarter of a million Shilings? thats about £20k. Where is his a father? in the presidential suite of the Aga Khan Hospital? I occasionally have to pay for treatment for my wifes family (she's Kenyan) and if is ever more 10,000 Ksh then that would be seriously OTT. They don't have a NHS but they do have government subsidised hospitals where prices are comparably low.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach boys

Same old story! Don't fall for it its a con.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
798 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach boys

Delete his number from your mobile but first put a block on any calls/msgs from him.

Nottingham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach boys

Thanks for all your replys and you have just confirmed what I already knew deep down in my heart just didnt want to believe he would do that to us.

I did make a mistake with the amount he asked for it was 25000 KS but I dont suppose that changes much anyway. Thanks again! I will learn not to be so soft one day!

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach boys

Dont be hard on yourself. We all fall for it at some point as they appear to be genuine but at the end of the day it's money not friendship they want.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach boys

For tourists and visitors:-

Assume that everyone in Kenya has an objective to part you from your money, don't believe anything you are told, dis-regard any stories and don't trust ANYBODY.

The country isn't known as 'corrupt Kenya' for nothing.

Heed the warning.

Nottingham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach boys

I know and seeing how these people have to live I can understand why.

Manchester, england
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach boys

So sorry you have had this experience but its not uncommon, its happened to us too. Best to just ignore it and not answer any other messages as others have said. But lets be real as to wh this happens, to the average beach boys we are very rich, despite the fact that most of us arent and have saver hard to be able to make the trip. But its relative in relation to poverty.

I am flying out tomorrow ro TBBC if uou want personally message me with further details I can investigate?