We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming elections in Kenya

London UK
Level Contributor
241 posts
275 reviews
Save Topic
Coming elections in Kenya

I've just been told that the elections in Kenya will be on 4th March 2013. If this info is accurate it means it will fall in the middle of our 2nd weeks stay at TBBC. Do you think there may be any problems during that period?

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

mallamombasa, I can only say what I know. However, definitely there is no point in mixing two totally separate issues: security alert and advice to have some stock of food. First of all, on Monday, all shops will be closed, so if one runs out of milk or rice they would not be able to pop out to shops. Secondly, there has been strong indication from the transporters and those providing public transport that just in case they would not be operating for a few days. Therefore, the chances are that supplies can be interrupted as even if shops are open but ran out of essentials, they might have problems in restocking due to transportation problems. Nearly all fresh produce comes to Nairobi and the coast from upcountry. So farmers are not going to harvest if their produce is going to stay and rot, it is better off on the field. Dairy farmers can also have interruptions in delivering to the plants, bakeries might have interruptions in flour deliveries and distribution of their produce to the shops. And I already mentioned the supplies to the shops in general. In my personal house I do not have stock of food for days, I usually have max 2 days of everything except for a few items, as I prefer everything fresh. I go to town daily so it is easy for me to shop. The same with a lot of people as wherever you are these days the shops are at your door step. I am lucky as we have good stock at the hotel, but not so many people have such plan B. Butvas a hotel we stocked up - I do not fancy a drive to Tanzania and paying over the odds as we had to do in 2008. So it is only natural that people are advised to have some food stock in case of interruptions. If they had security concerns at that stage their security alert would not have been at level zero.

In October 2011 no transport problems were being foreseen, therefore no alerts issued. I know from my own reliable sources that most transporters are operating last day today to pull their trucks into the yards before Monday. And even if they start operations on Tuesday or Thursday, it will be a coup,e of days before things reach Mombasa, for example. There has been considerable reduction of upcountry buses from today from Mombasa. People are cautiously optimistic, but everyone remembers only too well the issues of 2008 and people are taking extra steps, this is natural.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Edited: 02 March 2013, 13:27
Nairobi, Kenya
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

All activities, goes as scheduled.The General election will be for one day and no chaos expected at all. So no panic

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

Sadly we have just heard that a friend of Wor Lass's was beaten to death in Bamburi last night for wearing an ODM T-shirt

Buckland...
6 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

Thanks to y'all for really sharing your idea about the current issue in Kenya. Lets just keep our fingers crossed hoping things will go well.

Morecambe
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

Hello I see you are from Manchester and replied a bit back about a laptop. Im wonderfing if we could chat, as Im wanting some info about what to buy. i live in Morecambe but come to Denton mnachester every week to work at Stepping Hill.

I am wondering whether I can use a non 3 g I pad and tether it with my I Phone. Im going to Ortum in April with Beyond FGM .

i hope you dont mind me mailing you out of the blue. I will send you my number If that is ok. 07913389009 and I can call you back so i pay. Many thanks Jean

Edited: 03 March 2013, 07:43
shamba25
Level Contributor
252 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

Thank you very much Doff & Larissa - As always your posts are very informative & its certainly the information I want to read about, from people on the ground.as I arrive next week.

Can I request, if you have the time that you post an updates over the next day or so.

Sorry to hear that sad news Doff, hopefully its an isolated incident. Wishing & praying for peaceful elections.

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

sorry to hear about the friend Paul, so now it starts

stupid stupid people

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

Shamba,

It's been a beautiful day, with the peace and quiet only disturbed by the noise coming from the large number of highly amplified 'churches' and the muezzins of the 4 mosques we can hear from our place. It's hard to reconcile such peace and normality with what could lie ahead in the next few days.

Yesterday Mtwapa was packed, I'm told it was heaving in Nakumatt from morning to early evening. There were queues at Dutch Water, which has now closed until Wednesday. Late yesterday afternoon I was talking to someone who had just come from Mombasa Town, who was saying most shops were closed and many were shuttered or boarded up. Many little shops around Shanzu and Mtwapa have shut and the owners have gone back upcountry. There were a lot fewer places open today than on a normal Sunday..

Earlier today I was in Whitesands which was exuding peace and calm, I had a look at Bamburi beach and it was very quite, very few people on it at all, though it was around 2 pm so people may have been at lunch. I then went to Nakumatt which was pretty busy but not as mad as yesterday, and City Mall was very busy generally, but it is popular on Sundays.

A spokesman for Raila Odinga has refuted the comments attributed to him in the Financial Times (linked above)

We shall see what tomorrow brings...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

God Willing Paul, all will be well and Kenya will have a peaceful & transparent election, my one hope is that whoever is elected will make a difference to the poor people who struggle to survive daily, (we can all dream), Keep Safe !!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Coming elections in Kenya

Not a good start in Mombasa, haven't got any details other than a suspected MRC attack / ambush has left 10 dead, including police (two senior), civilians and attackers. Some Mombasa polling stations not yet open as a result.

Other polling stations not yet open as officials or materials haven't arrived

Edit, just found this Reuters report, which only mentions the police deaths, and doesn't mention the civilian deaths that tweets are quoting

reuters.com/article/2013/03/04/us-kenya-elec…

Edited: 04 March 2013, 04:56