We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure tax

London UK
Level Contributor
243 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
Departure tax

We will be travelling to Watamu TBBC at the end of Feb 2013 with Thomson's. I'm getting conflicting information as to whether or not there is a payment to the airport required on departure (as there is in The Gambia). Does anybody know about it please?

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Watamu
Watamu
Coast Province, Kenya
WALLSEND
Level Contributor
376 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure tax

Yes there is a departure tax with Thomsons. If my memory serves me well I think it was 2000 kenya shillings (£17 approx) per person. That was in June anyway. Dont know whether it has changed. Pamela

London UK
Level Contributor
243 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure tax

Thanks for the swift response ..

Peter

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure tax

Departure Tax is currently $40 per person you can also pay in pounds or Kenyan shillings, these vary with the exchange rates but at the moment it should be around £25 or 3,400/-

It is normally included in the price of the plane ticket for everybody apart from Thomson who pass it on to the customer

London UK
Level Contributor
243 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure tax

That was nice of Thomsons - as if they don't charge enough already .. LOL

Peter

5. Re: Departure tax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 17:18