We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers to Kenya

south west
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
first timers to Kenya

Hello Everyone,

I will be taking my first trip to Kenya in July 2014 with my two children aged 8 and 9, we are having 5 nights at the Papillon reef hotel on Diani Beach, followed by a 3 night safari and then a further 5 nights at the Turtle bay beach resort in Watamu. We are really very excited! My question though is what essentials do we need to take with us? Never having been on safari before, what do we really need to take?

Also, if anyone has been to any of these places can you recommend/advise on trips to do/not do. We want to have some fun, some relaxation, and some culture...my 7 year old son in particular is very very keen on the cultural side!

Thank you in advance :)

Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Safaris
Discovery Kenya Con Fragola
Safaris, Scuba & Snorkeling, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Safari Kenya Watamu - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,948 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers to Kenya

1. Make sure you' & kids are fully immune from catching malaria. So take some Anti-Malaria pills prior to coming. Apply Ballets Mossie Repellant lotion (available locally).

2. Carry light,cotton clothes as its gets very hot & humid at the coast.

3. From Diani, consider visiting Wasini for Dhow lunch, snorkelling & dolphin watching., Shimba Hills is 45 min drive from Diani.

4. Theres heaps to do in Watamu . Take a stroll Dongu Kundu Village, Mida Creek, Gede Ruins, Turtle Rehabiltation Centre & Butterfly Farrn.

5. Day excursion to Malindi. Maliindi has some of the best Curio shops in Kenya. Visit to Croc Farm, heaps of other reptiles too. LIVE Feeding Session from 4 pm onwards .

Enioy your holiday !!!

Edited: 06 January 2014, 05:48
south west
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers to Kenya

Thank you so much for your comment...we are really very excited!!

3. Re: first timers to Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:20