We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle bay

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
spain
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Turtle bay

Hi Am thinking of going to this hotel next february. I am a beach bunny, the pool is not for me. What is the beach like, I like to swim a lot, do I need shoes in the water? Also do you get bothered a lot from locals selling stuff, don't mind the odd one, I know they have to make a living, but one holiday there were so many I didn't go to the beach in the end. Not what you call relaxation. Can you leave your stuff on the loungers if you go for a snack?. The hotel and photos look lovely, so any comments grateful. Finally is there seaweed on the beach in Feb. Thanks

Nottingham
Level Contributor
893 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle bay

Hi Dolly,

Do you mean TBBC [Turtle Bay Beach Club] or the bay itself ,which has a few hotels along this stretch of coast?

Ray

spain
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle bay

The Turtle bay beach Club, sorry for any confusion

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle bay

Beach is good, but the beach boys do hassle quite a bit. It is advisable to wear shoes, as sometimes the coral can be exposed. Another great beach is Kilifi (Kilifi Bay Hotel), but the hotel is not fantastic.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
893 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle bay

Hi Dolly,

The beach is pretty good and you can walk it to Watamu or to the creek in the other direction.There is a little hassle on the beach from the trip sellers and stall holders,but they are really not a problem. In front of the hotel is a hard mudstone reef which is exposed at low tide. This can cause problems for entering and leaving the sea,and shoes are a good idea. However, if you walk down to the start of "Hemmingway's"wall,and enter the sea from there ,then there is a channel through the mudstone. If you use this route,there is an area of good coral to the right and a bit further out than the last of the moored boats.

The sun loungers are not put on the beach, but the beach area of the hotel,and your belongings will be safe to leave unattended as the hotel employs security guards to prevent intrusion from non-guests. Sea weed is only a problem for swimming as it is not enjoyable if it comes in rafts.This is dependent on the weather and winds as to the amount found floating. You may be a beach bunny but you might find the "quite pool" to your liking.

Ray

spain
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle bay

Thanks everyone, hopefully see you there!!!

6. Re: Turtle bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 06:17