We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

Hi, I have spent a a few hours reading Trip Advisor reviews about the Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort & Spa. It seems mostly couples stay and of the 306 reviews, 164 = excellent, 71 = very good.

Of the 37 av, 23 poor, 11 terrible there is a weighting to the wet season, particularly May and April. I saw comments along the lines that numbers staying were down and provision of services were scaled back, breakfast was reduced in line with lower numbers to a smaller range offered etc. The deal on offer includes lots of extras (see below). I appreciate we will be a captive audience for evening meals, excursions paying Australian and not Thai prices and feel this is OK given the low price paid for flights and ten days ($999 pp). I have that 'too good to be true itch that I want to scratch'. Is there anything I should be wary of please? Thank you in advance.

Deal description is at:

yourtraveldeal.com.au/…TheOffer

Deal includes:

8 nights in either a Standard Studio at the Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort & Spa

1 night at Phuket Airport Resort and Spa on Phuket prior to stay at Paradise Koh Yao

Return economy airfares to Phuket ex Syd/Mel/Per/Gold Coast onboard Air Asia including all taxes and 2 items of carry-on luggage

Return airport to resort transfers

Return launch transfers between Phuket and The Paradise Koh Boutique Beach Resort & Spa per guest

Half day mountain bike self tour including refreshments per guest

Half day self guided kayak tour along coastline per guest

Half day snorkelling tour by speed boat per guest

Body, mind and spirit trial Yoga session per guest

Resort Manager’s welcome party with drinks and canapés

One evening cocktail per guest per stay

Rejuvenating Thai Massage per guest

Buffet breakfast daily for two

Complimentary WiFi

Extra nights not covered by your voucher can be purchased for 50pp

All taxes and service charges included

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

Thank you for your replies Arandora and no1redz1.

Arandora, when you say "You can get a ferry back across to the mainland and then a taxi down into Phuket Town to sample the local prices, attractions and atmosphere" I wondered about the cost of that transport off the Island of Koh Yao.

No1redz, your notions of Australian prices or even greater prices may be well founded. So I've collected a sample of transport and price related comments from the last few months on Trip Advisor about Koh Yao and these excerpts follow here (A$ = Baht / 30):

"We booked this Hotel for 3 nights. We went there by public Speed boat from Phuket (200THB/Person) - it took us about 30 to 40 minutes to Manoh Pier and from there we took a tuktuk to the Paradise Hotel in the North. (800THB for 2 People - very bad road but still okay).

We took a longtailboat from the Hotel at 7am to Thakao Pier for 800 THB and then a tuktuk for 15 Minutes to Manoh Pier for 200 THB.

The drink and food prices are awefully steep. (shrimp cakes for 300 baht? small Chiang beer for 200 baht?)

Just the ride there costed us 800 each way.

Good thing I stopped by the 7-11 to stock up on water and snacks.

To get to the rest of the island you have to pay 800baht one way to get to the main pier then 800baht back again to paradise resort or take a scooter. And forget about riding a scooter to the village unless you are very experienced.The road away from the resort is rocky, full of ruts and very steep in parts. We asked for a litre of milk for our room and were charged 200baht and a bucket of ice by itself was 50baht.

Seafood buffett was 950b compared to 650b in AoNang. Thai night was roughly the same, but then you couldn't order a Thai dish off the alcarte menu. Not everyone wants to eat themselves silly. All i wanted one night was ONE plate of thai but didn't want to pay the 900b.

But you can either hire (at a cost) a motor bike (not a track for a beginner), a long tail boat (1500baht/$50AUST), a jeep with driver (same cost as long tail boat but not as smooth! very bumpy but good for a experiece and the drivers have skill!) or you could ride a bike down to the village (for free but would require a good level of fitness) .

There is no shop or pharmacy in the resort - so if you happen to have a medical issue, expect the staff to tell you that you have to pay 1500BHT TAXI RETURN to get you to the next peir which less than 5klm away. The website states that The Paradise can take you to Phuket for 500BHT for shopping etc. this is false - the staff will tell you it's 4000BHT. My husband and I hired a motorbike to take us over the 'mountain' track to get into the main village to buy some medicine - so the resort really is ISOLATED. To get to the village and explore the rest of Koh Yao Noi, you must take the risk of driving a scooter through some of the most dangerous roads I've ever seen (no wonder the staff were so cranky). In the village, the people are so friendly and so helpful and we felt really welcomed and happy. It was in the village that we found boat taxi's for half the price that The Paradise staff had quoted.

Manager replies: As far as shopping trips to Phuket is concerned we only charge Bht500 pp per way, so it works out Bht1000 pp return and not Bht4000 as you claim. The only condition to this is that the guests has to fall in with our boat schedule of the day. The charge for a boat trip to the village is Bht1600 return and it can take 6 pax, most guest go in groups, but if you want the boat to yourself it works out more expensive.

A watered-down frozen drink will set you back 280 BHT ($9.25) and the dinner buffet for one was 850 BHT ($28.50). My wife and I each ate an incredible meal and each had two beers at Je'Taime (the best restaurant on Koh Yao Noi) for less than what one meal and a drink costs at this resort. A beer at the same restaurant in town costs about 50BHT; they charge 120 BHT for the same beer at the resort. I didn't get any spa treatments, but they also looked way over-priced for Thailand (2500 BHT/hour). The worst part about it is that leaving the resort is pricey (800 BHT each way for a boat into town), so you're pretty much stuck. Good luck renting one of their 3 working scooters. They're reserved days in advance."

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

I wonder if anyone has ever walked from the Paradise Koh Yao resort to the down town area? I visited the MapCarta website at http://mapcarta.com/26576976/Directions and did a search on walking from the Paradise Koh Yao resort to the Ko Yao Post Office and got the list of instructions below. The line on the map correctly followed the road that needs be used. May be an alternative to paying the 800 baht each (about A$27 each) and may be good exercise and scenic. I imagine that after half way there may be tuk tuks at a normal price. A backpacker review I read talked of paying only $3 to get a tuk tuk from a pier on the wrong side of the Island to the other side of the Island.

9.3 km - about 1 hour 55 mins

1. Walk south-west 5.1 km

2. Turn left , 1.3 km

3. Turn right , 1.7 km

4. Turn right, 1.2 km

5. Turn right, Destination will be on the left, 19 m

Edited: 26 April 2013, 00:30
Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

Well I am back from Koh Yao Noi Paradise Resort. It was good. I would recommend the package we got. But do your research. Be aware of isolation, prices, mud flat at low tide and not good for snorkelling. For the right person it is fabulous. Peaceful.

If you do walk to the lower half of the Island (where there are villages) beware of the dogs about a third of the way down the jungle track. You come to three bush houses in a flat clearing after two or three kilometres. There were about seven dogs sleeping upon either side of the road at the last house. I walked on by not sensing a threat. It took the dogs a while to wake and stir and I was about 100m past before one started barking at me. They began to pack up and saunter my way gaining confidence with more dogs joining the barking. I walked backwards up the hill to eyeball them and looked for a stick. Fortunately the owner was home and came and called to them. They did not heed him much. Usually 15min or more might pass before you see a scooter on this track. Luckily for me a scooter came within 5mins and the dogs moved to the side but then re-formed. The dogs are motorbike shy. Maybe the dogs have been hit. Perhaps riders have waved sticks at the dogs as they ride by. Even more lucky a second scooter came within a few minutes more and the remaining dogs got right off the road and lost interest in pursuing me. I hadn't got a rabies shot so was glad the threat dissolved. Maybe the Paradise Resort should buy these dogs off this man to relocate them and free up the jungle road for runners and walkers. To have the road free of this threat of dog bite and potential rabies would add value to staying at Paradise Koh Yao Noi.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 22:03
Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

About the dogs I encountered on the track 3 Km south of the resort, the manager (Yanni) wrote this reply:

"Dear Keith_roam,

......We have contacted the owner of the dogs and have asked them to please keep them off the road or behind a fence so that they do not bother our guests. We have also offered him to pay to have the dogs vaccinated against Rabies as a precautionary measure......"

Halifax, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

Hi I booking this place for february and absolutely loved your review of the self explore kayak trip to the other islands and was very intrigued by your various cloth maps. This sounds ideal for myself and my partner for something to do and would be interested in knowing more. How is it for getting around generally on the Island as well? Do you hire bikes or walk to a town ?

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

It is not trivail to get around on the Island. Some people organised to hire a driver for the day. Some hired the paradise resorts quad bikes. We did the village tour to see the southern half of the Island. This tour is one of the various excursions the resort has for guests. I wrote a review of the village tour on this site. I thought it good value for what we got.

Walking to town is probably only for the very adventurous. The 4x4 track is steep in parts and it is several kilometers - I wrote a bit about this also. There is a staff boat linking Koh Yao Noi to the village pier a few kilometers to the south.

I suspect (but have not tested it) that the most effective way for the skilled trail bike / scooter rider, to have ongoing freedom to visit around the Island, is to hire a bike for a week in town. Apparently town hire rates are very reasonable (not resort rates). The difficulty lies in getting to town to hire the motor bike and then getting back from returning it a week later. When I arrived at the village pier to return to the resort one day, the staff urged me to join them at no charge. So I got a free boat ride back to the resort. If you ask at the resort desk to go by boat from the resort to the nearest village, I understand the policy may be to charge a high fee for this boat ride.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

Just been to the island in late December, high season prices then, the rainy season was supposed to be over but it rained nearly every day and was cloudy quite a lot. This resort is very isolated in comparison to any others on the island so prices bound to be higher here for food and drinks. The road to this resort is dirt not concrete. Yes the island is quiet and mostly aimed at couples or backpackers but we met families as it was Christmas holiday time. This is not a party island but quiet, parts of this island are possibly as Thailand was before tourism arrived but development is going on everywhere so sadly not for much longer. Boats trips are pricy but a scooter is cheap! At this price you could stay a couple of nights then move elsewhere. We went to both islands and Noi is busier than Yai, but we felt very safe here, never hassled by anyone. These islands are for those that enjoy rest and relaxation, yoga and massages.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

Good morning

Interesting reviews and comments. We are also booked with this package and very excited about travelling as a couple. We are booking a tour guide for two days to pick us up at Bang Rong Pier and taking us to where ever and return to pier 2,000 baht per day, which I believe is reasonable. Have breakfast at KYN then head off to Phuket. On other 7 days explore the island, in our opinion looking forward to the break in June '15 (wet season). Its up to us to make the most of it.

Cheers Lewis and Glenn

Launceston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

Good morning

Interesting reviews and comments. We are also booked with this package and very excited about travelling as a couple. We are booking a tour guide for two days to pick us up at Bang Rong Pier and taking us to where ever and return to pier 2,000 baht per day, which I believe is reasonable. Have breakfast at KYN then head off to Phuket. On other 7 days explore the island, in our opinion looking forward to the break in June '15 (wet season). Its up to us to make the most of it.

Cheers Lewis and Glenn

20. Re: Would u book $999 ten day wet seas bargain (incl Aust flts)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2016, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Ko Yao Noi
Recent Conversations