We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach conditions

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Beach conditions

Hi

we are coming to KYN in the end of November and we are still unsure where to stay. Since we'll have two small kids with us, beach condition has become an issue. Can you help me with location of Kohyao Island resort, Villaguna and Niramaya. On google maps they are all located on Long beach but I guess the places varies. Basically my Q is which one of the above has the best beach.

Tnx for your help

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach conditions

Hi Dam123,

We have just returned from one week's holiday on Koh Yao Noi. Villaguna and Nirimaya are practically next door to each other. They share the same stretch of beach which is really lovely to look at and walk along but just like most beaches on Koh Yao Noi, they aren't ideal for swimming unless you are wearing reef shoes. Koyao Island Resort is further along. We had a bad experience there and I did not look at their beach but you will find most beaches have rocks or some have mudflats.

To ensure your children are able to swim, I would recommend choosing accommodation with a decent pool. We only swam in the ocean when we visited nearby islands. Koh Hong's beach is beautiful but get there early before the crowds to secure some shade.

We stayed at Villaguna and were extremely happy with everything. They have a lovely large pool with spa jets at one end. For families, there are family villas which have their own private pool.

If there's anything else you would like to know, just ask and I will try to help. It is difficult to get a lot of information online. Most businesses on the island are small and don't have webpages.

One thing you should take into consideration is accessibility. The main form of transport on the island is motor scooter. It really helps if your accommodation is within easy walking distance of a mini mart and restaurants. Villaguna and Nirimaya are both well located.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach conditions

Hi,

first, tnx a lot with the anwsers that really helps us a lot coming there. We have rservation on hold for both Island resort and some villa (Diva Star) in Villaguna complex (not part of the resort if I understand correctly, but shares the restaurant). We've reserved Island resort basically because of the beach photos there since all the rest had rocks on it. I do understand that we'll have two tidal cycles per day i just don't want only rocks on the beach all the time:)) We'll be arriving to KYN from Lanta and after we'll be headed to Koh Jum since this year we are searching more for peace and relaxation with our kids (1+4) not just pristine Thai beaches. We just have some dubts about Island resort since some reviews are mentioning lots of construction noise there on account of work in resort next door. Do you mind telling what experience you had there?

Tnx a lot, Damjan

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach conditions

Spend a few days at the Island resort last month. At the time there was some construction next door but it was (at the time) hardly noticeable, it might have got noisier. The was no television in the room just incase the kids need entertained.

As RMJDJJ says it`s more remote than the other 2 resorts but there is a family bar and a couple of restaurants within walking distance. The plus is it it opens onto the beach, where the other two resorts, I believe, are across the road,

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach conditions

Hi and tnx to you too Jamie. Since you have actually stayed there can you tell me first hand about the beach in front of IR? All rocky and muddy or actually swimmable at the times?

Rgds, Damjan

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach conditions

Sorry the photos are not labelled and all over Koh Yao Yai and Noi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96298966@N06/sets/72157636785615036/

5916/5920 room

5932/5934/6116/6119/6122 the beach, there are some coral pebbles washed up on beach, but no rocks.

2683 except at the very end of the beach.

5622 It was very rocky down at KohYao Yai.

Never really had a problem swimming 2665 and the sand was good, not muddy. Never used the pool 2716.

The deciding thing for us was the direct access to the beach, if I was looking for more action then one of the other two resorts (maybe 2756 is one of them)

Oslo
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach conditions

Hi,

Jamie, maybe you can answer this one as well?

We have just booked Island resort with 3 children, but have the same doubts about the beach. Is it at all possible to swim at low tides? And is the water clear enough for snorkeling?

Thanks!

Best, ML

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach conditions

Hi Dam123

We had two beach bungalows booked from 16-23 Oct which were fully paid for and confirmed by the resort. When we arrived, the couple we were travelling with were welcomed but we were ignored. I gave them my paperwork but the receptionist said there was no booking for us as we had cancelled. We hadn't, in fact both rooms were on the same booking. The manageress was called and she went off for quite some time to sort it out. In the meantime to kill time, I walked over to the infinity pool to have a look only to find that it was green and not because it should have been. It needed a very large dose of chlorine to kill the algae. When i asked the receptionist why the pool was green, she didn't know. A German man told my friend who was looking at the pool in disbelief that he had been told by staff that the pool was green because they filled it with sea water. Fresh sea water doesn't have algae.

The Manageress came back to tell us we had no record of our booking as it was the booking agent's fault. Problem with that excuse was, both rooms were on the same booking, we had even requested rooms next to each other. They took our friend's bags to their bungalow then told us there were no other rooms available.

Not once did the Manageress or anyone else apologise for the inconvenience, the manageress would not even give her name for us to follow up with the booking agent. I needed time to think about what was happening so went for a walk along the resort. I came across the construction work at the right hand edge of the resort (looking toward the sea). It was very noisy and dusty but would probably only affect the two or three bungalows closest to it.

Our friends left with us and we were fortunate enough to get two villas at Villaguna. We have followed up with the booking agent, the problem was with Koyao Island Resort and we will be getting a full refund. We have travelled extensively in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia over the last 10 years but have never had this problem.

Unfortunately, I did not look at the beach when I was walking through the resort, I was too upset I guess, so I cannot honestly say what it was like. We did learn from one of the restaurants (it's a small island and everyone knows everything about each other) that Koyao Island Resort has a high turnover of staff.

Due to our bad experience, I am obviously not fond of Koyao Island Resort. What I will do, is post a few more photos of the beach opposite Villaguna and Niramaya to help with your decision.

The island is definitely a place for relaxation. Apart from our initial bad experience, we loved Koh Yao Noi, the people, their honesty and friendliness. While you're there, if you want a Thai beautiful beach moment, hire a longtail from Koyao Island Tours near Pasai beach to Koh

Hong and leave at 8:30 you will beat the crowds and get a great spot in the shade.

Good luck with your holiday, whatever choice you make, I hope you have a lovely, relaxing break.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach conditions

Dam123

You cannot snorkel on Koh Yao Noi at any location. The water is not clear enough. Even at Koh Hong the visibility is poor. When we sailed from Chalong Bay in Phuket to Koh Phi Phi in March this year, it wasn't until we got close to Phi Phi that the water became clear enough to snorkel.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach conditions

@RMJDJJ, That`s a horrible thing to happen. We`ve stayed in quite a few Thai hotels, nearly always the low season, and most of them have been practically empty. Usually means getting an upgrade. Koh Yao Island was one of the smaller resorts in room number so your making me think we should be getting email confirmation direct from our hotel from now on.

@Oslo.. hmmm we only stayed 4 nights so the tides could have been good to us. I did have a few good swims with no sign of rocks. There was a bit of heavy rain a couple of days and the whole of the sea turned into milky coffee all along the coast. It soon cleared up but not enough to snorkel. There are a lot of nearby islands that will be clearer.

Have to second RM.. says about the people. They are great.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 13:24
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach conditions

Thanks Jamie, we were really happy in the end at villaguna. Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll be sending an email two weeks before from we leave from now on. More for peace of mind.

Get answers to your questions about Ko Yao Noi