We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

corner cafe/bar matagorda

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
corner cafe/bar matagorda

We have just returned from Matagorda, we had a wonderful holiday in a lovely hotel on an A.I basis so had very little need to use the local bars etc but we started to use a bar/ cafe behind Jameos playa hotel called the CORNER CAFE , we mostly only had drinks and the odd snack but were really impressed by the service and cleanliness of this cafe, the owner Danny is an extremely courteous and polite young man who goes the extra mile to please his customers,he serves two excellent draught beers Veltins and Amstel plus very many bottled beers and ciders and the prices don,t break the bank either, as for coffee this must be one of the best places on the island to have coffee, they serve a very nice Italian coffee here and it too is very fairly priced and absolutely delicious, I hope and pray that this lovely place survives this crisis so we can visit it again in the future

ddrinks

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

I couldn't agree more. Let's hope they all survive this terrible Euro depression

Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

How much where the coffees and beers? Might have to check it out!

For info-The chinese next door is to be avoided like the plague!

Keith

Newtownards, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

everyone takes a holiday that suits their own personal circumstances, but the only way to save these places is to not go all inc. these places need people to come and eat and drink in their places instead of people staying in their hotels. people need to try self catering holidays in lanzarote, because it really can be just as cheap, and so much more fun than sitting by the pool day and night. All inc in my opinion is ruining the island, far too many now. matagorda is a prime example. when we first went to matagorda 6 years ago, the ccentre was buzzing at nights and great fun, now bars are closing and the rest are struggling, and that comes from a bar owner i spoke to there. An example last year was my sister and brother in law stayed down the road from us in PDC all inc, we were self catering, eating and drinking out every day and our holiday inc spends still cost less overall than them, and got to interact and enjoy the place more than they did, plus we were putting our money in the tills of the places struggling to survive..

Edited: 22 May 2012, 15:22
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

Good call djjakeuk

Although some families prefer all inc duer to having the kids gett ice creams drinks and snacks whenever they want some go all inc because they feel it's a cheaper option, in PDC there is so much value for money that eating & drinking out is often much cheaper overall

Happy Holidays

Danny

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

It is alright for people to preach about the effect A.I. is having on local businesses but if these same businesses expect people to come in through their doors they will have to attract them, it is not just a question of sticking a couple of T,V,s in a bar and hoping that people will want to spend the night there, and another thing holidays are to relax and chill not to cook and make beds and go shopping etc we can stay at home and do that, thank you very much

Newtownards, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

I go self catering all the time, and i relax and chill no problems at all. I dont cook, no need to when i can eat out with a massive menu and venue choice thus spend my money in the islands establishments. i dont worry about making beds etc, the maids do that for me on a daily basis.:-) If you want to lie in the same spot for 2 weeks and drink and eat the same food while talking to the same faces, well, you can deffinatley stay at home to do that !

There is a market for all inc where maybe a family on a budget is concerend etc, but agree or not, the ammount of them now is ruining the island, and Matagorda is a prime example. Lanzarote depends on tourism, and if people are going to lock themselves away in a hotel for a fortnight and generate no money into the local business's then the slide is gonna continue for these places in trouble. people going A.I think they are getting so much more for their money compared to self catering when that is far from the truth

Edited: 02 June 2012, 03:21
Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

This is an ongoing discussion voiced many times. The sad fact is that AI will win out as it offers a much cheaper option for families. Although we usually go self catering (and I much prefer to do so), we have personally had AI holidays that cost less than some s/c on offer! Having said that, we didn't stay in the complex for the duration but went out and about some of the time (spending money in bars and restaurants). We're going AI in October for 6 days, as we're taking my husband's daughter and two grandsons with us. That way the kids can have drinks and snacks all day without us continually putting our hands in our pockets. It doesn't mean however that we won't be taking them to a restaurant or two, or that the local bars will never see us. It's a compromise that many (who don't have bottomless pockets) have to make.

Manchester
Level Contributor
69 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

We are sat in this bar watching england match. we actually get a taxi here because it is an excellent bar. the veltins is an excellent beer and i agree with the comment about the coffee. Danny and Anina work very hard to please all their customers they offer a great menu and tapas and defo worth a visit

9. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 16:42
10. Re: corner cafe/bar matagorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 16:42
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen