We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Warning.

Which Puerto Del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
minstrelbhoy
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
ATM Warning.

A bit of advice for anyone using ATM's in PDC.

Normally on holiday I carry a preloaded currency card and use it as necessary to take out money at any of the numerous Atm's in PDC.

Up until now, I have never had any problems. However, last Sunday on our first day in PDC I tried to withdraw some euros from the machine which is in the bank on the left hand side of the road as you head towards the old town, more or less across from Linekers bar.

Unfortunately, the atm came up with a message that the service was down and attempted to eject my card, however, the card did not come out fully and as I tried to remove it, it came up with a message that for security reasons it was retaining my card !

So because it was Sunday and the bank was shut I had no way of getting my card back.

So the following day when the bank opened I explained to the woman in the bank what had happened, she didn't look to surprised and produced a bundle of I would guess 30 to 40 various bank cards !! I had no problem getting the card back as I had my passport with me, but it is a valuable lesson that I have learned.

That is, only take money out when the shop/bank with the atm is open or take a back up card with you.

Hope this info helps.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Warning.

You were lucky to get your card back. When I started to read what happened it sounded like one of those frauds where the ATM eats your card, but your bank account is also cleared out too. Glad it wasn't anything sinister like that.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Warning.

Best advice I have been given was by a rep on one of the holidays we went on.

If you use the ATMs inside various banks you are usually safe against any fraud and if for any reason your card is kept the staff will more than often open the machine there and then and give it you straight back.

3. Re: ATM Warning.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 06:19