We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self catering

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
self catering

1st timers are there decent supermarkets for self catering

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self catering

Yes, including several large supermarkets which cover all your needs for a holiday self catering.

Swansea
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self catering

Self catering myself, does anyone have a tick list of items you take?

EG: Coffee, tea, favourite biscuits. washup liquid, T Towel etc etc...

Would be interested to know incase I miss anything..not been SC for a couple of years..

Bridge

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self catering

We go Self Catering all the time. Because Spar is reasonable enough over there and eating out is so reasonable we only bring a few things with us, not the everything and the kitchen sink like we used to anymore!

We always bring the following

Teabags

Coffee

Real Butter (if that is what you are used to)

Block of Cheese

Rashers

Sausages

Cooked Meat, Bread Rolls, Washing up Liquid, Showers Gels are all cheap enough to buy at Resort.

If you are planning on cooking in, you could bring some Steaks, Pork Chops with you.

We always eat out at night but would cook breakfast and have lunch in the apartments every second day.

Camborne, United...
Level Contributor
378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self catering

Check with where you're staying - some places provide t-towels, washing up sponges and liquid. Used to have a list I worked from when the children were small and it was the end if the world if we went without something crucial! Now we take very little with us, there are plenty of well stocked supermarkets to go to.

west london
Level Contributor
696 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: self catering

All we bring are tea bags (Yorkshire tea bags),a certain good quality coffee that the other half likes and we also take sachets of sugar,salt and pepper. Apart from that,for some reason the OH has started bringing butter and we now buy semi skimmed milk in departures so we can have a decent cuppa when we first arrive

Most other stuff we just buy on resort and whilst more expensive than our large supermarkets at home,we do only eat a certain amount in our apartments to not be that much different

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: self catering

thanks... we only take enough for a brew when we get there. we buy at supermarket. we eat in a lo.t so are supermarkets ok for general selection of food.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: self catering

gms kernow sounds good to us there are supermarkets well stocked.thanks

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: self catering

Good idea to check first. I always go SC and have never had to buy anything except bacterial kitchen spray cleaner, and toilet paper in 2nd week. Dishwasher and washing machine capsules, washing up liquid, pan scouters cloths and t.towels, along with toiletries all included. Meat is better and cheaper in Lanza, so is fruit and veg. Only thing I take is coffee. OH does take his cereal. I don't buy fresh milk as its been off before its opened even though its kept in the fridge and not reached sell buy date.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: self catering

mosley 97. thanks it's fruit/ veg cheese /meat at the supermarkets. the only question we have is we are looking at November.{ we are pensioners so we have a few cheap hols usually go Tunisia nov}will supermarkets be open in November are there any fruit/veg markets

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: self catering

Lanzarote is a 12 month holiday destination so everything will be open in November. There's a new market on in PDC on a Friday which includes fruit & veg stalls and there's also Tequise market on a Sunday, but you wont struggle getting the same in the supermarkets

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen