We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canary Islands?

Pewsey, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Canary Islands?

Hi, My wife and myself are thinking about a holiday in the Canary Islands maybe Lanzarote or Tenerife and having never been there before would like to find a 4* small & friendly type of hotel so prefer no children or nightclubs, close to the beach and within easy walking distance to the local bars & restaurants in the evenings. A short distance from the airport would be nice as well if possible. Any suggestions or tips would be most welcome.

Many Thanks. Mike. Wiltshire.

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canary Islands?

Playa Blanca is the quieter of the three resorts with nice restaurants around a marina or along the promenade near the harbour. if you were interested in going there, i would suggest the Pueblo Marinero or the White Suites both are Adult only but Playa Blanca is also the furthest from the airport 30 mins by taxi or 45 /60 minutes transfer on Tour company coaches

The best hotel would be the the Princesa Yaiza overlooking the beach but has a price to match

Mentioned in this post
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Pueblo Marinero
Pueblo Marinero
965 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Pewsey, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canary Islands?

Thanks Dellboy, I will check your suggestions out, could you also confirm what my wife was told about the lack of mozzies out there. Thanks.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canary Islands?

There are mozzies but we go in December time and are no really affected by them the evenings have a chill to them, so one is not sitting outside in hot weather in the evenings then. The Island is more barren and lacks a lot of water so I don't think it has so many, I did however read that people have had them in the rooms of some hotels. We are Greece lovers and tend to close windows in the summer and air con on at night which also helps.

But in General, less of a concern than a lot of places, we actually forgot to pack the repellent this last year in PB and didn't need it but normally put it on as precaution

Pewsey, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canary Islands?

Many thanks for the info I will tell my good lady. PS, I prefer Greece as well. Cheers.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canary Islands?

if you were to consider PB have a look at my trip reports on the top thread of the Lanzarote forum (which has photos of the place to give you an idea)

the link to the thread, posts 4 and 5

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187477-i240-k72…

if you require bigger evening entertainment you would need to look at PdC or Costa Teguise

Edited: 20 April 2014, 12:53
Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Costa Teguise
Costa Teguise
Lanzarote, Spain
Wirral
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canary Islands?

Having been to all Canary Islands, Lanzarote is our favourite without doubt. We have been many times to PDC and have never had a problem with mozzies, they love me, but I've never been bitten, one of the reasons I love the place, but there are some postings in the last few weeks saying that there are a lot around. Was there December, and no bites. It certainly isn't like Greece for them, love Greek Islands, but don't like the blighters there! Still doesn't stop us going though.

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canary Islands?

yes I don't think we can compare our December with midsummer Greece though, as the evenings are more chilly then, I just read that this last month or so, people that have not experienced mozzies in Lanzarote have been bitten and people are not sure why and whether it is due to the unusual weather conditions this last few months

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canary Islands?

We don't go to the Canaries in summer preferring Majorca but always go out to one of them in Jan/Feb/Mar time.

In Lanzarote we like Puerto del Carmen. It's quite a lively resort with plenty restaurants and bars etc to choose from. It's only around 20 mins transfer from the airport. Costa Teguise is slightly quieter but still has a range of restaurants and bars. Playa Blanca is nice for a day/night out and Puerto Calero is a small harbour resort where we did a submarine excursion. The Hotel we used in Lanzarote was the Riu Paraiso, a large hotel on the outskirts of Puerto del Carmen in Playa de los Pocillos but it was only a 15/20 min stroll to PdC in one direction and Matagorda in the other, similar stroll time. The hotel was across the road from the beach. There are some nice trips available to other parts of the island including Mount Timanfaya volcano trip.

In Tenerife we go to Costa Adeje where there are some nice restaurants and bars including San Eugen, an area that offers live music acts including a few tribute acts, karaoke and comedy acts etc. This is on the outskirts of Playa de las Americas but far enough away so you won't be bothered with "Veronicas" strip, a small row of bars in PdlA for the younger visitors that like a club/disco scene. PdlA, the "strip" apart, it's also a nice resort, then there's Los Cristianos, this is quieter with a more low key nightlife but plenty restaurants etc to choose from. There's lots of trips to go on in Tenerife also and if you like waterparks then there's not many better than Siam Park in Costa Adeje. Also up north there's Loro Parque, a good day out and about an hour and a half away from the south. Mount Tiede trip too.

When we go to Gran Canaria, we choose Playa del Ingles. It's great with the sand dunes at Maspalomas and a vibrant nightlife in Playa del Ingles. The beach is good here and you're spoiled for choice for restaurants and bars etc. There's the Yumbo centre which is mostly shopping during the day but at night, lots of bars over three levels including Sparkles bar, a "showbar" with drag and comedy acts. Other places for entertainment and nightlife include Kasbah centre, Irish part and Cita centre. Other places... Puerto Rico is quite a hilly resort but smart when lit up at night overlooking the port with all the boats/yachts , Puerto Mogan is very quiet, more for a chill out break with a few restaurant/bars around. You can go there by ferry from Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico for a trip.

In Fuerteventura we go to Corralejo. The main strip has lots of restaurants/bars, some of which have live bands or singers on each night. They also have "music square" which has live performances most nights in the old town. Although the island is big on surfing culture there are trips available all over. El Cotillo is a nice place for a visit and various other places down south.

Probably not helped you regarding where to choose but it's some info if you're unfamiliar with the Canaries.

PS we've never been to any of the Greek islands, must get out there sometime and try them!

Edited: 22 April 2014, 00:37
Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Puerto Del Carmen
Puerto Del Carmen
Lanzarote, Spain
Costa Teguise
Costa Teguise
Lanzarote, Spain
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Puerto Calero
Puerto Calero
Lanzarote, Spain
Hotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort
Hotel Riu Paraiso...
3,934 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Costa Adeje
Costa Adeje
Tenerife, Spain
Los Cristianos
Los Cristianos
Tenerife, Spain
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Siam Park
Siam Park
24,836 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Loro Parque
Loro Parque
23,742 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
Maspalomas
Maspalomas
Gran Canaria, Spain
Kasbah
Kasbah
531 Reviews
Gran Canaria, Spain
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Gran Canaria, Spain
Mogan
Mogan
Gran Canaria, Spain
Corralejo
Corralejo
Fuerteventura, Spain
El Cotillo
El Cotillo
Fuerteventura, Spain
London, England
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canary Islands?

Due to the climate, the Canaries are fine for a winter holiday. The small, upmarket type of hotel is quite difficult to find, particularly in places like Playa las Americas, Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas etc.

You could look at something like the Hotel Monopol in Puerto de la Cruz, or there is an upmarket hotel in Garachico in Tenerife. The parador on La Gomera is particularly nice.

There are agroturismos and small rural properties on all of the islands. Google 'casas rurales' or 'agroturismo' and you will find them. They will be situated I the quieter areas and not in the large resorts.

In general, the quality of the hotels in the Canaries are good, but you need to choose the resort carefully.

You get a few mosquitos in the summer months, but in general, they are not a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Ingles
Playa del Ingles
Gran Canaria, Spain
Hotel Monopol
Hotel Monopol
436 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Puerto de la Cruz
Puerto de la Cruz
Tenerife, Spain
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
La Gomera
La Gomera
Canary Islands, Spain
Pewsey, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canary Islands?

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply Jambonian, it has certainly given me more to go on and look into. If you do try a Greek island at anytime in the future Corfu is the one to try, San Steffanos in particular is a beautiful resort. Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen