We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with an infant: Some questions

Which Puerto Del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greystones, Ireland
Level Contributor
136 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with an infant: Some questions

Hi,

Travelling over on 7th July with Wife, 4 year old daughter and our new arrival who will be just turning three months old as we travel!

As we turn our minds to preparing for the trip we were discussing last night the logistics of bringing such a small baby there. We're veterans of travelling with an infant so the nuts and bolts of the actual travel are covered as before our first daughter was a year old we'd been to France, Germany and Italy, so have the potential obstacles at the airport covered.

Lanzarote poses different issues for us, so I'd appreciate any tips or advice, but in particular on these bits:

1) Would the Spar Supermarket in Matagorda CC stock nappies that small?

2) Is there a need to bring babygrows for night-time? Part of me thinks that a vest is sufficient as it will be warm at night...

3) Breastfeeding: Is this an issue in restaurants? My wife uses a "hooter hider" when she's feeding so nobody will see anything at all.

4) Taxis: As we're three adults, one child and an infant, will local taxis take us between Matagorda and PdC? If not, are there many taxis about with greater capacity?

5) The baby will be kept in the shade at all times and she'll be slathered in factor 50 anyway, but are there any additional precautions we can take?

Thanks in advance!

M

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Protaras
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with an infant: Some questions

Hi

Nappies available in most supermarkets expect to pay a lot more for branded ie pampers etc. Think we used ones called Dodot and they were fine.

I would bring babygro's for night time as it can feel quite chilly in the evenings will probably need a blanket for pram too.

There are bigger taxis available, you may have to ask a smaller one to radio you a bigger one.

Was not breastfeeding but i do not think it should be a problem.

Take some mosquito repellent too as they can be about saw people with bites in April, I have not been bit much in Lanzarote but been eaten alive in Spain & Cyprus! Maybe a foldaway changing mat as not all places have baby changing facilities. We used to take a snoozeshade that fits over pram, had factor 50 and was great for at night when my son was asleep, keeps it darker and the breeze keeps out or great for a snooze during day.

For a lovely day out I am sure your 4 year old would love Rancho Texas, there is a free bus that runs there or not far in a taxi. There is a small waterpark, animals, bird of prey show, parrot show, lasso act, play areas.

Diane

Greystones, Ireland
Level Contributor
136 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with an infant: Some questions

Thanks Diane!

Rancho Texas was on the itinerary anyway and I've ordered a mosquito net for the cot/pram from Amazon following on from a thread I started earlier in relation to that (and some nagging from a colleague). Will pick up some sort of cream too.

Re the folding changing mat, have one! Never leave home without it!

London
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with an infant: Some questions

Dodots are pampers! Just the spanish branding.

Good idea re. the mossie net. We didn't want to put repellent on our 3 month old when we took her last year - be careful with open windows and doors at dusk as that is when the mossies come out to play.

Ours only slept in a nappy and a short sleeve vest onesie sort of thing.

Sterilising - if you are breast feeding you probably aren't but the easiest way we found were the old school milton tablet - and just buy a bucket out there. The microwave bags are good but can't guarantee access to a microwave.

Those snooza shade, shadababe - or as I call it the baby burka's are great for the push chair - can get on amazon. Also might want to get one of those blackout blinds with suction cups incase your baby needs it to be really dark for daytime snoozes?

Ireland
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with an infant: Some questions

Can be breezy at night so if you are out walking might need something warmer for a baby so young. For bedtime it will probably depend on your apt and air-conditioning or not. Would second the mossie net and shadeababe thingy. Dodot are fine as nappies but if you need swim nappies??? maybe bring them with you.

Enjoy your holiday.

5. Re: Travelling with an infant: Some questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:15