We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental/deposit????

Which Puerto Del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Car rental/deposit????

Hi there!Going to Lanzarote in julyand as i understand it is the best way to explore the island, so want to book a car, just wondering is there any deposit required.As have checked online the prices are not high,as in uk as well, but in uk they ask for like £200-£300 deposit to be hold. So does anyone have an idea, if i book the car online it will be the final price, or i should pay a deposit when collecting the car. Does any one know is there any good company to hire a car near Gloria Izaro Club hotel, so i will book online and it will not be far to collect the car. Hope for your replys, thank you

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental/deposit????

We always collect the car at the airport rather than in resort, don't see the point in paying for transfers on top of car hire. We use Auto Reisen, one of the most recommended companies, although they only offer airport pick up so may not suit you. No deposits required, book online and the price quoted is the price you pay when you collect. Am sure if you are only looking for resort pick up others will have suggestions. But definitely agree car hire great way to explore the island, it is cheap as is petrol and driving on the island easy and stress free.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,187 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental/deposit????

Check out the top questions on the right hand side of the page 'Car Hire' for info on recommended companies, and more importantly, those to avoid!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
938 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental/deposit????

We always use Cicar at the airport ,no deposit and no fuel charges and we pay cash so they do not have your credit card details.

Birmingham, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental/deposit????

Thanks, it is very helpfull, will probably go with airport pick up, don want to use small local offices.anyway resort is not far away from airport, so wont be a problem.Thank you

Birmingham, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental/deposit????

just wondering if sat nav is supplied, or better to get one with us?thanks

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,187 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental/deposit????

You really don't need a sat nav. The island is so small it's impossible to get lost. Everywhere is signposted, and it's hardly like trying to negotiate a city centre. If you hire from Cabrera Medina you get an audio CD guide to Lanzarote, but we've discovered some of the best places by just driving and seeing where we end up.

Gateshead
Level Contributor
80 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental/deposit????

We always have pick up a car at the airport we use either Cicar, Cabrera Medina or Auto Resien depending on price, prices are "all in" and all three are brilliant.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental/deposit????

I like to pickup in resort, that way you can have a go at getting a better price.

Cabrera Madina for me, last September was chatting while booking a car for a few days later said it was my 3rd time with them, in the end he got me 40e off the price of a new Opel Adam on a 5 day hire.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,187 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental/deposit????

Peel, we've used Cabrera Medina from the airport for over 20 years. No hassle and quick service. Bonus of having your own transfers, and being able to shop on the way!

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental/deposit????

If you've not got your car hire sorted, I would recommend Cabrera Medina, for one reason only. I had the misfortune to have my hire car broken into (big rock through the driver's window). took the car back to Puerto Del Carmen expecting at least a bit of grief, but got nothing. Spent ten minutes helping the girl in the office fill out an insurance form them walked away. I'd seen on TA so many cases of people being charged horrendous amounts of excess for various reasons that it was so reassuring to know that the research I'd done before travelling was so worthwhile. Cabrera Medina is a big firm, and very professional, I can't praise them highly enough. After all, it's when things go wrong that you really see how good a company is.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen