We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

Which Costa Adeje hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
derby
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

it would be great if anyone could advise how suitable costa de adeje is for an active wheelchair user.

Also, which hotel is cleanest, most modern, best quality

jardines de nivario or sheraton caleta

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

Hi doug,

I'm afraid I haven't stayed at either hotel although both get very good reports. There is a promenade right along the seafront from Costa Adeje to Los Cristianos, although there are one or two areas which are more difficult to negotiate than others but mostly a wide paved promenade. On the seafront at the Costa Adeje end it can be quite up and down and the ground turns fairly steep uphill fairly quickly.

I think I am right in saying that the Sheraton is a good bit further along towards La Caleta (where the path may not be so easy to negotiate in a wheelchair) - type in hotel names in the search facility and go to the review pages where there is a link to "Adeje Map" and you will see what I mean.

It might not be what you are looking for but worth considering might be one of the Mare Nostrum Hotels at the other end (especially the Sir Anthony). This is located in a flatter, slightly busier but nonetheless nice area. It is in the opposite end of Playa de Las Americas just before it turns into Los Cristianos.

Nelly

derby
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

Thanks Nelly.

Are you a wheelchair user?

Doug

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

No Doug I'm not. I just thought I would give the information I had as nobody else seemed to provide a reply to you.

If you haven't been to Tenerife before, I think you'll find that there are quite a lot of wheelchair users go there.

spain
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

I have only just joined the forum today and I am working my way through the threads. I used to live in the vacinity you are talking about, however this year I live in Los Cristianos, I totally agree with your comments about wheelchair accessibility after my parents stayed last year in Costa Adeje, not very practicle, however as Los Critianos is fast becoming a disabled friendly resort, the services it offers are excellent with disabled facilities, access to beaches etc and the main tourist areas have now all been upgraded which has been a significant improvement. You now see more electric scooters and wheelchairs in Los Critianos than any other part of the island.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

Just supporting what others have already said. The Los Cristianos end is far more wheelchair friendly than the heart of PdlA around Puerto Colon which is much hillier. There are a number of rehab centres in and around LC and wheelchairs and electric scooters are everywhere.

A few of the ramps on the Geranium Walk are pretty steep so assistance may be required occasionally.

I'm not a wheelchair user, but a good friend was and that has made me much more aware of the needs and provision in that area.

derby
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

Hi Folks

Many thanks for your information.

Problem is I still prefer the look of the 'posher' end with its better hotels etc.

Hopefully I'll find a route round the steps.

Any one got any suggestions on the hotels in Adeje?

We want a really nice clean accessible hotel.

manchester
Level Contributor
644 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

unless your going a goodish stroll along the front you should be ok..but the puerto colon area has some very steep steps..i have seen some escalators there but not 100% sure you can use these with a wheelchair..you do see a lot of people with wheelchairs so there must be ways to get through but it might involve quite a bit of uphill pushing..

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

Hi Doug,

In case you are not aware of the hotels in the area and their location, I'd suggest you go to map 0 on South Tenerife withing www.eurosol.com (click on maps firstly).

Nelly

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

Doug,

Places like the Mare Nostrum, Mediterranean Palace and Conquistador aren't exactly DSS hostels! Also as others have said it's much flatter in that area. Don't be too quick in discounting the area.

derby
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: wheelchair suitable costa de adeje?

Hello again folks

Thanks again for your thoughts/advice - I'll re-read the reviews, Has the flatter area you mention changed a lot in the last 10-15 years?

This would be about the last time we went to Tenerife, we stayed in the conquistador and it had a big problem with cockroaches and that with the noise outside the hotel plus low standard of decor and food is the reason we have not been back since.

That said, the Sheraton still comes out very well on this web sites reviews so it will be a difficult discision to change areas.

Get answers to your questions about Costa Adeje