We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

Which Costa Adeje hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

Just a warning to anyone planning to go on an organized trip from Costa Adeje to Loro Parque - we did this trip last week, booking with Thomas Cook from the Bahia Principe (other excursion companies didn't pick up from Bahia Principe so Thos Cook seemed the easier option.) Before our holiday I had looked at google maps and thought the coach journey would be in the region of 1.5 hours, going by the motorway. Thomas Cook went via Los Gigantes - the start of a hellish journey.

We were picked up at 8.00am and picked up at Los Gigantes about 9.30. We then went over the incredibly winding road over the mountains. I'm a good traveller but felt nauseous - loads of kids on the coach were sick, and of course the rep didn't have sick bags. We reached Loro Parque at 1.00 - 3 hours after we set off!

The return journey was just as bad with kids vomiting all over - it really is a bad journey.

I would suggest if you book this trip that you get ABSOLUTE confirmation of the route the coach will take if your party are poor travellers - this journey could ruin an expensive day out.

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

Hi,

I drove that route yesterday, it's my preferred way to get to the south west coast. I love the drive over the hills from the north to the south west; great scenery, little villages; the chance for people to see the Tenerife that exists outside of the tourist resorts.

However, I can imagine that travel sickness on a coach can be a problem. A tip though is to make sure the kids, or anyone, keeps looking out of the window and to sit nearer the driver.

Some of the roads on Tenerife aren't really suitable for large coaches. Much better to be independent and go by car instead.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

Couldn't agree more - the scenery was great and a real opportunity to get a taste of the volcanic nature of the island. However, a great day at the Parque can be ruined for poor travellers who were not expecting the journey.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

Agree with Gusto a coach can have a "funny"sway/ movement on twisty roads, had the same problem in Sicily with my son when he was small, but a pill and and a good stong bag kept eveything contained !!!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

We went to Loro Parque a few years ago and they did go the motorway route. Definitely worth checking as we thought time at LP was too short even going that route.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

Hi, you don't need to go to Loro Parque as part of an organised trip. Catch the bus to Puerto de la Cruz, see http://www.titsa.com from Puerto catch the free road train direct to the park. If you obtain a BONO discount card, the bus fare will be around €5 each way.

Don't be put off going, Loro Parque is a great day out for all ages.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
331 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

I have just returned from Tenerife, we were out from the 31st until the 8th and took in some of the trips.

We were picked up at the Bahia at 0850 in the morning and arrived at LP at 10:30. We were taken along the motorway to the park so it looks like T/Cook have taken onboard the travel sickness aspect from earlier reports

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

Get the bus!!! I think it left the PDLA bus station at 9ish for puerto de la cruz. You can walk to Loro Parque from there. We then got the free road train back into town and spent a couple of hours in puerto de la cruz. Buses back to PDLA are 3ish and 5ish. Get a Bonocard and a TITSA timetable and you are sorted.

8. Re: Trip to Loro Parque - a warning!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 15:19