We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Tenerife

Which Costa Adeje hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Tenerife

I have never driven in Tenerife and was wondering how easy/difficult it is. Is getting from the airport to the Bahia Principe at Playa Paraiso a breeze or a nightmare? I can just hire a car from the Bahia Principe (more expensive) if folks think that would be easier.

I have driven quite a lot in Florida (an automatic) and I have driven on the Costa del Sol, but a few years ago! Malaga airport was a nightmare due to building works etc, but at least I knew the area.

Niza cars are located right at our hotel so any observations would be gratefully accepted. We are there for eleven days and I don't necessarily need a car for the full duration. A week would be more than adequate.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,981 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Tenerife

OMG you have over 1400 posts and I have only just spotted you are a Mackem !!!

If you pick up at the airport the journey to Playa Paraiso is nearly all motorway. You have been here lots of times so you know to follow the airport signs in the direction of Los Cristianos, then stay on the TF1 until you see Los Gigantes /San Juan signposted - get your passenger to look out for McDonalds and Mercadona (after the Adeje junction) as you need to exit where the roadworks were taking place (not shown on Google Maps) and take the new slip-road. Then round the roundabout onto the TF47. Follow the road through Armeñime and the next roundabout is signposted Playa Paraiso, sorry don´t know if the hotel is signposted, never really noticed.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Tenerife

I found Tenerife no problem for driving although I didn't collect from the airport. I did however take my Sat-Nav with me which was a huge help, it take 90% of the stress out of driving abroad.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Tenerife

The reply from Aguilas has already provided accurate directions. As one who is a reguar visitor to the area (we have an apartment in the next village - Callao Salvaje) we always hire to collect from the airport and for the past 3 visits have used Autoreisen for price and reliability (however, I should add that Orcar and Cicar aslo get good reveiews on TA). The roads generally are very good (although you will find plenty of "challenges" if you take roads such as that to Masca which are steep, narrow with many sharp bends but spectacularly rewarding for scenery) and the standard of driving overall is some of the best I have come across in Europe (and certainly less "flamboyant than some parts of mainland Spain, Italy and France).

4. Re: Driving in Tenerife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2011, 05:16