We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

Hi - just had to cancel our holiday to Turkey as partner had surgery - so will be going in November - fancying Tenerife. Never been before. We are in our mid 40's - want a good quality hotel, quiet in day but in short walking distance of bars/entertainment. Don't mind all incl as long as near town etc - any ideas??? We are not into nightclubbing/discos - but like bars/live entertainment/shows etc. Cannot decide between Playa de las A or Costa Adeje.

uk
Level Contributor
859 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

I have been to both and I would have to say Adeje. Please be careful though as it is hilly and your really need a hotel close to the beach. We are going next week with the teenagers this time last time it was on a Hen party but we went to las america to party.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

This is Playa de las Americas …tenerife.co.uk/photo-guide-playa-de-las-amr… You can see how beautiful and upmarket it is, nothing like it is painted! This would be my personal choice above anywhere else on the island.

Costa Adeje is a bit like the curates egg, it is huge so depends where you go. From what you have said I would suggest you look at Fanabe, Torviscus and San Eugenio because they are all close to beaches have plenty of bars and entertainment and no 18-30 clubs. (these are in a tiny area called Veronicas which is only a couple of blocks long so easy to avoid).

Avoid Playa Paraiso and Callao Salvaje as they are a long way from bars and resorts and while La Caleta and Del Duque are expensive IMO there is little there that meets your requirements other than expensive restaurants and a beach.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

It's like comparing Blackpool with Brighton. Both cater to differing tastes.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

They join each other anyway but my preference is for Costa Adeje.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
560 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

whichever area you stay it is up to you, but if i were you i would narrow it down your prefered accomodation , how far from beach would this make a differenc e? how flat is the land near by? would this make a difference?what are the reviews like and what comments are made about the things that would make a difference to you?by the sound of it you want something near by but far enough away, personally i prefer the end bit of las americas just before los christianos, it is near enough too and far enough away, i am trying the conquistador again after not visiting for several years, the area is as you would like, and it has good reviews, we have stayed at costa adeje -sunset harbour some years back, we enjoyed the holiday and the complex, just love the flatness and accessability of

playa las americas so would prefer this area, look at med palace aswell, cleopatra . you are going to get a right mixed bag of answers on this question

up north
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

whichever you chose you are not too far away from the other, maybe only a short stroll away or at the most a short taxi ride.

in november in either resort there should not be any lager louts ..or if there are the will be oap lager louts..lol..i will go more by hotel choice myself.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

Prefer Las Americas area, you are in the middle and can walk one way to Los Cristianos, the other towards Adeje.

Let us know where you choose! :)

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

Thanks for your reply - any idea what hotels in Costa Adeje are on the flat and near the bars/restaurants etc - any help appreciated!

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

Heres a map link .....

tenerifetravel.com/maps/southtenerife_large.…

This will give you an idea how far from the beaches the hotels are etc.it takes 10 mins to cross a square ,as long as there is no one in your party with walking problems or small children .

Flat area of any resort tends to be along the sea front ,with the exception of Puerto Colon ...........the further back you go is where you are likely to find hills .But Pdla is just about all flat .None more so than the hotels either in square D8 and hotels around its borders .IMO the very best area in the South Resorts ,best beach Playa Las Vistas Square E9 ,fantastic shopping in the now bigger than it shows on the link .The SafariShopping Centre .The fantastic walkway along the coast (see the black and white route along the coast ) where from los Cris you can go till just before Puerto Colon before crossing a hill .You really do have to be careful which hotel you choose in Adeje for large areas of flatness

london
Level Contributor
161 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is best - Play de Las Americas or Costa Adeje?

Hi Lisamog

We have stayed in Tenerife twice .Before I went was a bit reluctant as I had this pre-concieved idea about Tenerife and Playa De Las Americas particularly and as we are in our early sixtys did not think it would really suit us however I was won over and now really like it.First time we stayed right at the end of Los Cristianos which although very nice especially the beach at Las Vistas was sometimes a bit quiet at night.Plenty of places to eat but we didn't find much in the way of music bars along the beach area unless you went for a good walk along the promenade and once you went inland it got hilly quite quickly.

Second time we stayed at the Mare Nostrum resort which is a bit nearer Playa de las Americas and we loved the location.The beach at Camison is great ,it's easy for walking around ,the shops around the Safari centre are mostly up market but all around are more run of the mill shops as well.Safari Centre at night had lovely restaurants upstairs and a great bar Harry's Bar,Go a block along and you had live singers,karaoke,drag acts and one block back from the main drag a strip of bars with live singers ,comedians etc..In all the area for us had everything .Yes go further along still and you come to the part of Americas which a lot of people associate with clubs and partying which is Veronicas but this is only a small area and does not get going till late at night and is very quiet during the day.

As my son was going later to the El Duque just past Adeje we got a bus to the El Duque area to have a look and walked back all along the promenade[quite a walk] going through Adeje, Torviscas etc .That end near El Duque is upmarket with prices to match but would not have been for us.We also found Adeje to be more hilly and didn't like it anywhere near as much as where we stayed.The only thing I will say is that some of the classier hotels in that area mostly going towards El Duque had more gardens where in Playa de las Americas the hotels seemed to be on smaller areas so pool areas lacked greenery.We stayed in the Sir Anthony resort part of Mare Nostrum which is more expensive , gate opens straight onto the promenade and the beach but looked at the Cleopatra palace in the resort and would probably opt for there if we went again.Wouldn't go All Inc or even half board unless it was for economy as there are so many great places to eat out there.

Get answers to your questions about Costa Adeje
Recent Conversations