We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Which Costa Adeje hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

We booked with Thomson last October and despite the weather, we have booked it again for this Easter to go to Costa Adeje. We have just got our e-tickets and we noticed that Thomson have reduced our baggage allowance from 20kg last year to 15kg. If we want up to 20k we need to pay an extra £22 each.

I just thought I would highlight it for others, in my opinion I think it is a bit of a low blow, especially for retruing customers. I will seriously consider whether I would book with Thomson again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

The price of oil is going up and up !

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,713 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

When we booked back in August 2012 the basic baggage allowance was 15kg so it hasn't been reduced since you booked. It seems that you didn't notice the reduced figure when you made your booking.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

I agree it has been 15 since last year when I decided Thomsons was off my wish list ; and they stopped doing my favourite place too ...

The best is Jet2 if you have an airport they use near you ...22 kg allowance ( not that I need it ) but nice to have some spare incase you want to bring things back ...also 10kg in the cabin bag .... The only thing I didn't find ,their seats not very comfortable ... but then show me a lovely comfy plane seat LOL ! unless you got loads of money !

Sylla

stockport
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

I agree with you Sylla.We have booked with Jet2 and got 22kg luggage allowance and 10kg hand luggage without having to pay any extra.

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
820 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

15g with Thomson when we booked last September for end of August this year going to Majorca.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
911 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

We always try to book with Easyjet because of the 20kg checked and unlimited weight cabin baggage (only restriction on cabin baggage is size of bag). We always find this ample for an 8 week stay even bringing a supply of books, DVDs and a fan heater (just in case!) plus laptop.

Last October I did a fly cruise and the flights were with Thomson and allowed 20kg checked and a miserly 5kg cabin. Even buying a cheap and cheerful flight bag weighing only 1kg, I could see that I was going to be struggling to take everything I thought I needed so paid for an extra 5kg checked baggage. But I was very niggled to find that, even though I'd paid for 5kg I could only actually use 2kg as their maximum weight for any suitcase is 22kg. Of course no-one pointed that out to me and to add insult to injury at the airport no-one bothered to weigh my cabin bag just asked me whether I'd only got 5kg. So of course I said yes (even though I'd actually got 7kg) and wished I'd taken more.

Manchester
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

We went with Thomson in October 2012 and the allowance was 20kg. I still have the booking confirmation of that.

It shows I should have paid more attention when booking for this March but still think its a low blow.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Yes Damer ...we only book winter holidays ; so that comes after Oct , so I suppose they started the reduced luggage then !

Sylla

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,788 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

You get a 20kg allowance if you book a hotel from the Platinum range (Premier, Al a Carte etc).

The package holidays luggage allowances changed in May 2011.

Manchester
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Leyland you make an interesting point there regarding the Platinum Range. We have booked to stay at the Gran Costa Adeje. We initially tried to book online via the First Choice website. However as we requested inter connecting room, the booking had to be done through a call centre, run by Thomson.

On the First Choice website the Hotel is listed as being "Premier" therefore should I not have the 20kg allowance?

We went through the same process, for the same hotel in October and got the 20kg allowance.

I think another call to Thomson/First Choice is due.

Get answers to your questions about Costa Adeje