We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Manchester
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

We booked with Thomson last October and despite the weather, we have booked it again for this Easter to go to Costa Adeje. We have just got our e-tickets and we noticed that Thomson have reduced our baggage allowance from 20kg last year to 15kg. If we want up to 20k we need to pay an extra £22 each.

I just thought I would highlight it for others, in my opinion I think it is a bit of a low blow, especially for retruing customers. I will seriously consider whether I would book with Thomson again.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,423 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

You should have a 20kg allowance, as stated on FC website. It makes no difference who you've booked through (as long as it's a package holiday).

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

I would certainly take it up with them if your original confirmation letter and the allowance shown on the e-ticket differ. Some of the tour operators do have crazy differences between sections of their websites.

A couple of years ago I was doing a price comparison for flight only and got different prices and allowances for the same TC run flight from the main Thomas Cook site and the Flythomascook site. That doesn't make any sense either.

Likewise, book direct with Monarch and you will be on the same flight as if you book through Avro but baggage allowance, ability to check in online etc differ.

Manchester
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

After being verbally told by Thomson Head office that I should get 20kg but the actual booking travel agent who made the booking would have to amend the bagage allowance.

Called the travel agent, explained the situation, and they say they would look into it. Called back and said they will not change it.

Not a happy bunny, on hold to Head Office again.

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

booked my first package holiday in15 years. Discovered we had 20kgs (instead of normal 15kgs) because we booked a 'couples hotel' Afraid this wouldnt be enough, paid and booked for my husband and I to have an additional 5kgs. Now told maximum weight in any one bag is 23kgs, queried this told to use additional bag but will probably weigh as much as the 4kg, what a rip off. I now remember why I dont like package holidays lol

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,423 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Goanluv

It's Thomson Airlines that set the maximum one bag weight, it's nothing to do with whether you book a package or not.

Why is it a rip off? It does state as part of the booking process that "Maximum limit for each individual piece of baggage is 23kg"

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
595 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Went on a cruise stay holiday with Thomson at Christmas. Our allowance was 20k per person with no more than 23k per bag and 7k hand luggage because we were on a cruise. We found that ample.

Manchester
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Not happy at all.

Having priced the holiday on line on the First Choice website, we then called them direct, knowing from past experience that is what we would have to do to specifically request adjoining rooms.

First Choice & Thomson share call centres. We booked our booked our holiday. Having done the same last October we simply didn't question it when we got email confirmations from Thomson. We had the same then, emails from Thomson & FC.

Apparently the issue now is our holiday was booked as a Thomson holiday, not FC. On the FC website it explicitly says we get 20kg. So whilst we are going on the same flight, to the same hotel, we now only have a 15kg baggage allowance because Thomson won't offer 20kg until November 2013.

How can T & FC be related companies & not give me the 20kg allowance?

Sorry if. I seem petty but if we booked a holiday that is advertised as offering 20kg, I want 20kg.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
436 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Thats why we always travel with Jet 2 now. 10k hand and 20k hold luggage included in the price.

Their planes also have more legroom in the standard seats than Thomson

We never go with anyone else now, cheaper than Thomson for the same thing most of the time.

All you dont get is a tour operator rep coming to your hotel.

However they will have a local office if you have an emergency

P.S. thomson did that to us also, the brochure said premier iincludes 23k luggage on a recent holiday to Egypt and when we got tickets it was 20K.

We needed that allowance to take our scuba gear.

As always they have a get out clause

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,985 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Jet2's hold luggage is 22kg not 20kg

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Thomson - Reduced baggage allowance.

Damer, your experience with differences between FC & Thomson for exactly the same holiday mirrors what I said about TC and their different websites. It makes no sense at all but regrettably doesn't give you any higher baggage allowance just because it's non-sensical.

Get answers to your questions about Costa Adeje