We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey v Tenerife

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Turkey v Tenerife

My boyfriend and I are looking for holiday suggestions for September 2013. We've been recommended Costa Adeje, Tenerife and Fethiye, Turkey. We are after a relaxing holiday with nice bars and restaurants, sandy beaches, local authentic food and stuff to do in the day e.g an old town/market.

Opinions would be very appreciated or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Adeje
Costa Adeje
Tenerife, Spain
up north
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

i would pick tenerife over turkey every time.

Chester
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

Hi,

from what I have seen when looking at Turkey All Inclusive is the main option but if you choose Tenerife it is cheap to eat out and the best options are B+B or self catering. Costa Adeje is a good resort but for an old town with lots of restaurants and a few late night places Puerto de la Cruz in the north is a good place.

Keith.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Costa Adeje
Costa Adeje
Tenerife, Spain
Puerto de la Cruz
Puerto de la Cruz
Tenerife, Spain
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,849 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

I like Tenerife and I also like Turkey. Both are so different though. If you want markets then perhaps the souks in Turkey would suit you. Although the weather is normally good in Tenerife in Sepember, I would say the weather in Turkey is hotter. Length of flight times are around the same, although depending who you fly with you may get a better time of flight with one or the other. Decisions, decisions. Both are good.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,291 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

Cazzie:

I do not know if you are aware that there is plenty of political instability in Turkey right now. I would not go to any country with political instability because it may not be safe for tourists.

London, England
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

Yes, there are problems in Turkey at the moment, but they are currently not affecting the tourist resorts.

I have lived and worked in Tenerife, but also visited Turkey on a number of occasions, so would enjoy a visit to either places. It is difficult to beat the beauty of Teide and the mountains in Tenerife, but Turkey has lots of history, great shopping and a larger area of places to choose from.

It would probably be cheaper in Turkey as they do not use Euros. I think you need to do some research, choose what suits you and compare prices, flight timings etc.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

Like BennyMalaga, I would never consider ANY country where there is political unrest. You never know how far it can escalate.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,849 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

Turkey is a huge country. While it may well escalate I doubt it will take over the whole country. You just need to monitor what is happening. As an alternative perhaps Greece would be of interest.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

The latest advice from Gov UK ...

https:/…turkey

S

London, England
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

After reading the FO advice Sylla has posted, it wouldn't stop me having a holiday in Turkey. If there was imminent danger then tour operators would not be taking hundreds of people there every week. Day to day living in central London is probably no safer.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turkey v Tenerife

There are demonstrations in resorts popular with British tourists though ... see here ,..

https:/…safety-and-security

although so far have been peaceful .... but my grand daughter is half Turkish and I will not be happy if her Mother takes her for her annual 5 weeks in Turkey Istanbul ..

Best to look on the Turkish Forum for holiday advice as we don't have destination experts for Turkey on the Tenerife forum ..

Sylla

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Get answers to your questions about Costa Adeje