We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos and Patmos

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos and Patmos

I'm planning to visit only these two islands. Thought it would be easier to connect from ATH to Mykonos and spend 4 nights before proceeding to Patmos. Planning to spend a couple of nights in Patmos and back to Mykonos to catch flight back to ATH.

I'm beginning to think I can't make this itinerary work. After searching these forums and checking online timetables I can't figure out how to do that.

It doesn't matter which island I will visit first. I will be doing ATH last before my trip back to the US.

Would appreciate it very much if someone can recommend on how to do this itinerary.

Thanks!!!

Benny

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos and Patmos

Mykonos to Patmos won't be straightforward - it's an unusual route. You will be able to do it by changing on Samos, but it may require an overnight stay. There's no sense in going back to Mykonos to catch a flight back to Athens: either ferry all the way to Piraeus or fly back from Samos.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos and Patmos

Just realised that there are some ferries from Piraeus to Patmos that stop at Syros, so Mykonos -> Syros -> Patmos is another route to look at.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos and Patmos

Forget my suggestion of flying back to Athens from Samos. I didn't realise Patmos had an airport so you could fly direct from there. This also means that another option is to fly from Mykonos vis Athens to Patmos.

Edited: 12 February 2011, 23:06
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos and Patmos

My previous post is completely wrong - Patmos does NOT have an airport. I typed Patmos Airport into a search engine. It brought up a web page but I didn't read it properly!!! This means you probably won't trust my earlier postings.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos and Patmos

Thank you GreecemanUK. I know you were trying to be helpful.

Indeed, Patmos has no airport.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,389 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos and Patmos

It's quite straightforward how ever you do it, you can do bits by flying but does not help much.

1) Piraeus(Athens) <> Mykonos, Ferry/fly.

2) Piraeus(Athens) <> Patmos, Ferry direct, Ferry/fly to Samos/Leros/Kos then another ferry to Patmos.

3) Mykonos <> Patmos, Ferry to Samos(Vathy), Ferry Samos(Pythagorion) to Patmos.

The last 3) Can obviously be reversed appropriately.

I would do Patmos first which is the least frequent about 1 per day connection, which means broadly these.

a) Piraeus Ferry direct, maybe 6 days a week in summer. Or fly in morning to Samos(or possibly Leros, Kos) and then ferry Pythagorion > Patmos. This works on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, which are the days for the 'Nissos Kalimnos' ferry to Patmos. The ferry from Piraeus maybe relatively slow but it's done in one journey rather than making connections.

b) Patmos > Mykonos, take 'Nissos Kalimnos' on those days mentiond. Patmos > Samos(Pythagorion), you may have to overnight on Samos(Vathy) for a ferry to Mykonos.

c) Mykonos > Piraeus/Athens, too easy, many daily flights ferries.

You can check with http://www.gtp.gr/ all of that for typical timings, easy enough once you know the basic routes...and a map.

Edited: 13 February 2011, 03:01
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mykonos and Patmos

Thank you very much Retired_Hippy.

I was thinking of going to Patmos first too. The gtp website is really helpful.

By the way, how far is port Pythagorio from port Vathi? Not that I intend to immediately connect between ferries. I know I have to stay overnight in Samos on my way to Mykonos.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,389 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mykonos and Patmos

Hi,

It's about 6mi(10Km) from Samos town(Vathy) to Pythagorion, and indeed only 2mi(3Km) from Pythagorion to Samos airport, so all very convenient.

Roughly hourly buses between Samos town <> Pythagorion and a few to the airport.

9. Re: Mykonos and Patmos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 13:16