We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
307 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Need three restaurant suggestions for evening, your top cocktail bar and best day trip please .....woohooo, here goes my Mykonos cherry! Oh and very important...can I pack high heels (wedges) for the evenings or is that just totally impractical?

Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Although Im not Donny I though Id answer anyway ;-)

My favourite 3 restaurants are Bakalo for good quality Greek food, Catarí (new this year) for amazing pizza and pasta and Avra for great Greek food in a beautiful garden setting.

For Cocktails try Caprice in Little Venice. Also lots of nice other bars around that area so just go into whichever one you like the look of.

High heels totally up to you. Mykonos town is only cobblestones everywhere so you gotta be careful.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
307 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Thank you so much TJ, have jotted those down and shelved the shoes (sigh). Don't want to stick out like a baldy parrot wobbling down the cobbles...

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Hiya!

Not Donnyb either (although I tried to steal some of his tan a couple of weeks ago) but I'll add my twopence, if you don't mind.

Maereio is my favourite place to eat in Mykonos. It's opposite Alpha Bank on Kalogera Street. It's a very, very, very simple traditional tiny taverna with great, real Greek food.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g662620-…

IMHO, there's nothing funnier than watching girls on high heels trying to walk on the streets of Mykonos. It's ridiculous and dangerous. Many wear them though so if you decide to bring some, you won't feel like "a fly in the milk", LOL!

Edited: 15 June 2011, 14:04
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
307 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Thank you TH, can you dress up at all at night, is it a maxi dress type of place with sparkly flip flops or more shorts and a glittery top? Any advice welcome:)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

krabikrazy, I was sleeping...I'm in a different time zone than you LOL.

Totally agree with TJ's suggestion of Avra Garden Restaurant; wonderful food, great setting and excellent service there. Just a few doors up the street at #16 Kalogera is Maerion, where we've always enjoyed their Greek food (the Asimina's meat balls are terrific but they also have yummy daily specials to ask about). The table on the steps next to the door is the best -- perfect for people watching. Another option is NiSa, new this year, which is in the former Avra space on Kalogera. Didn't get there myself but heard good feedback from people who enjoyed it. (Another really nice terrace setting.)

My next two recommendations aren't in Mykonos Town but they're worth the drive (bus, car or taxi) ... or you can easily check them out on a beach day.

At Ornos, Ithaki is terrific. Really nice beachside setting, excellent service and food to match. They do great Greek and also have some delicious Thai dishes on the menu.

My hands-down favourite this year was Nicolas Taverna at little Agia Anna beach between Platis Gialos beach and Paraga beach. They're open only until 9 pm, though. Wonderful spot to go for either a lunch or early dinner ... they have tables under trees right on the beach, overlooking the bay. I have pics of Nicolas in an online album: www.tinyurl.com/MykonosBeaches2011

For cocktail bars, plenty of people like Caprice but my own preference was Semeli bar ... but all you have to do is walk along the Little Venice strip and you'll have a good selection of places to check out.

Best day trip: an excursion to Delos, because it's really just half a day and that leaves you lots of time to enjoy a beach or the town back on Mykonos. If looking at archaeological ruins isn't your thing, go anyways -- pack a picnic lunch and climb to the top of Mt Kynthos to enjoy the fresh air & scenery while catching some sun for a few hours.

As for heels, I would never recommend them ... however, after watching a waitress in Ios racing up and down stairs and actually running down a cobblestone street in a pair of 4-inch heels last month, I do realize some women can walk anywhere in them without any problem!

Edited: 15 June 2011, 14:18
Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Glad you decided to leave the high heels at home.

Of course you can dress up in dresses and sparkly flip flops or sandals.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Any dress code is the dress code for Mykonos! You can wear whatever you fancy, really!

I forgot to mention my favourite destination for cocktails. Interni. it's a bit posh and on the expensive side but bartenders are trained to make cocktails from scratch. They ask you what you like and they create a cocktail right there and then, just for you!

It's in Matogiannia, right in the middle of everything!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

I forgot about Interni. If you really want to dress up, as well as spend a pile of cash on a meal, then Katrin is the place to go. I've seen many well-dressed people there -- ditto Nammos at Psarou beach and Sol y Mar at Kalo Livadi.

Dress is very casual pretty much everywhere on the island, though. And no need to worry about looking like a baldy parrot wobbling on the cobbles ... in Mykonos, all eyes are on the pelicans which last month were regulars at Skandinavian Bar and one of the cocktail places at Little Venice.

scotland
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Hi Donny,

Loved your pics May 2011 ...really good !! Must try Nicolas taverna on Agia Anna beach in July. Sounds great. Going by your pics you must of been to Kikis restaurant Agois Sostis ?? Was there a couple of times end of May and really loved it . Great view over the bay and very nice people in the restaurant.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights departing Friday.....where are u DonnyB??

Hi capricebar ... thanks! We did get to KiKi's but couldn't eat there because we arrived too late, unfortunately .... they were just closing up for the day. But at least we got to see it. As you say, it's a beautiful spot and the family running the restaurant is nice. People staying at our hotel who dined there raved about the grilled dishes and salads.

Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town
Recent Conversations