We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last-minute questions for Mykonos this week

Which Mykonos Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Last-minute questions for Mykonos this week

Hello all, I've got a few last-moment questions and issues that I would appreciate feedback on. I tried looking them up in older forum posts but could not find information that was more or less concrete, and as my friends and I need it to finalize our itinerary I decided to risk bothering you good people with stuff you may have been asked before. Any input you could provide would be of great assistance. Here goes:

1. Bus schedules – where can I get those? Writing to the bus operator yielded no results. If no-one knows about schedules, could you just tell me at what time do the buses begin and stop running?

2. Boats to beaches – is there a boat service connecting Chora or Ornos beach and the more remote beaches on the southern shore (Paradise – Super Paradise – Elia)? If so, does anyone know how frequent are these boats?

3. Is there a nice beach right there at Chora, or must we go outside the city? And on that note, does anyone know if there are a lot of jellyfish in the waters off Mykonos right now? Our beaches here in Israel are just swarming with them and they are a pain in the neck!

4. Going to Delos – An old edition of Lonely Planet said there were boats going to Delos from one of the beaches; is this still so or can the island be reached only via Chora? Post office – where?

5. Grocery store in town – just somewhere simple where we could get mineral water for less-than-extortionist prices; I read they are mostly expensive but that there is indeed one that is cheap.

6. Water sports – any recommended spots? I heard Elia has some facilities. We're no professionals so no windsurfing or anything like that for us, just plain 'fun rides' on one of those huge rubber things (couldn't give you the proper name of this sort of activity in English to save my life).

7. Hiking and bicycle hire – any recommended hiking trails outside of Chora? And does anyone know a reliable shop where bicycles could be hired? And do businesses like that require one to deposit one's passport?

That's it from me, a huge thank-you to everyone giving me any advice on these issues!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last-minute questions for Mykonos this week

Hi Lior557:

The bus schedules are posted at the bus depots and seem to change regularly (every couple of weeks). Buses generally start around 7 a.m. and run to midnight but I believe in July/Aug some buses will run later at night (to Paradise for instance).

You can catch shuttle boats to beaches at Ornos and Platis Gialos beaches. No boats run from Mykonos Town to the beaches. The boats operate regularly.

There is a small beach (Agia Anna) right next to the harbour in Mykonos Town but it's right next to a very busy street and, by Mykonos standards, is not one of the island's nicer beaches. I have online photos of Agia Anna plus most Mykonos beaches at the following links:

www.tinyurl.com/MykonosBeaches2011 and www.tinyurl.com/MykonosBeachPix

You used to be able to take excursion boats to Delos from the shuttle boat piers at both Ornos and Platis Gialos beaches. And signs at Ornos indicated such trips might still be offered. You will have to check with the ticket sellers at those locations (or ask at your hotel) to find out if they're still being offered. Otherwise, you have to take the excursion boats from Mykonos Town harbour.

There are numerous minimarkets where you could get mineral water in Town, but prices vary so I recommend browsing through several stores to check prices before purchasing.

There are no bicycles for rent on Mykonos.

You can do a lot of hiking on Mykonos but there aren't really any specific, marked trails as you'll find on other islands. You can walk along the coast from Platis Gialos to Paraga beach and from there on to Paradise beach. We've done a lot of walking around Mykonos but most of it has been on roads since there were no marked hiking trails to follow.

Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last-minute questions for Mykonos this week

Gosh, that it a lot of questions. I see you like to be organized ;-)

The bus schedules you will find at the bus stop. It changes every 2 weeks. Depending on where you want to go to buses start running between 7 and 11 am and run untill anything between 6 pm and some like to Paradise for example run all night if Cavo Paradiso is open.

The watertaxis dont run from town. They run from Platis Gialos and maybe from Ornos (but that Im not sure about). The do go to most of the southern beaches and run pretty frequently, probably every half hour or so.

There is no nice beaches in town or within walking distance. There is one beach within walking distance of the town called Megali Ammos but its not really a nice beach. There is no jellyfish in Mykonos.

The boats to Delos go from town daily except Mondays at 9, 10 and 11 am. The post office is right in town, in an area called Laka.

There is lots of minimarkets around town. Not too sure which one the cheapest is but you can shop around and find out which one the cheapest is for water. In general the supermarkets outside town are cheaper but seeing you are asking all the details about busses and boats I presume you are not planning on renting any kind of transportation.

Elia is the best spot for watersports. There is also some in Platis Gialos though and also Paradise I think.

Dont think there is any hiking trails really. No bike rental available on Mykonos.

Just one more little piece of advise: Try not to 'overplan' things. Just come over and enjoy ;-)

Israel
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last-minute questions for Mykonos this week

This is great guys, between yourselves you've managed to cover everything I needed to know! Thanks a lot for your informative take on Mykonos. TJ - I'm one of those people who must overplan so as to enjoy the decent vacation someone who had underplanned would! It's either that or total chaos I'm afraid:) But I am indeed looking forward to letting my hair down. Thanks again, both of you.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last-minute questions for Mykonos this week

TJ, there were three signs at Ornos for the water taxis in May so I presume they still operate from that beach, too. But best bet is at Platis Gialos where there's an actual pier where the boats tie up.

It's possible someone might offer rides on those "huge rubber things" at Gialos, but I didn't see any there in May. BTW I asked the people renting them out at a beach on Ios what those things are called, and nobody had a clue what the name is!

Megali Ammos is a 10- to 15-minute walk from the Fabrika bus depot and I agree with TJ that it's not a nice beach (there's plenty of pics of it in my 2011 beach album). Its redeeming feature, though, is Joanna's Niko's taverna right on the beach.

Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last-minute questions for Mykonos this week

The boats from Ornos probaly do run by now as they ususally do run at the busier times. As I dont really go to Ornos Im not 100% sure.

Funny that we were writing our reply pretty much at the same time. Glad we agree on everything too ;-)

Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last-minute questions for Mykonos this week

Btw I understand you overplanning thing. Im a little bit like that too ;-)

7. Re: Last-minute questions for Mykonos this week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 14:17