We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boats from mykonos to santorini

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
boats from mykonos to santorini

I'm traveling from mykonos to santorini on may 22 is there only one boat going to santorini , and how reliable is it

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

So far Super Jet is the only company to have released their spring schedules. Maybe others will join in, maybe not. Mykonos to Santorini aren't usually very well connected out of top season, so dont expect anything.

Try an alternative via Paros which have a daily Blue Star ferry to Santorini or via Syros which is the hub for an inter-island route in the Cyclades.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

There should also be the Flying Cat IV at 14.55. (See http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/ - although the service has not yet been officially confirmed the timetables provided on this site usually prove to be accurate.) The Flying Cat is usually more reliable than the Superjet

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

Thanks that helps alot knowing there is two different boats, should I book ahead on Flying Cat or wait till I get there, I need to take the boat to santorini on Myay 22 because Of my hotel.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

You don't need to book in advance as nothing will be full in May. I would wait until May 22 to buy a ticket because then the agencies will know which of the catamarans are sailing that day. The superjet often gets cancelled, seriously delayed or curtails its route due to bad weather.

Besides the options mentioned above, you can usually get Seajet 2 to Paros and then a Blue Star Ferry to Santorini. This gives you the earliest arrival on Santorini and you have the advantage of arriving at Santorini on a traditional ferry so you can see the fantastic views as you enter the caldera from an open deck. If you sit inside a catamaran you have a very murky view through the salt-encrusted windows, at best.

Edited: 13 February 2012, 21:49
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,319 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

No point buying your tickets far in advance. when we were there we could not even buy the day before, the ticket agents were saying that there was no guarantee that the ferries would run due to strong wind. It was indeed the case as there was no ferry for 2 days and we were "stuck" in Santorini (worst things could happen!). When we called our hotel in Mykonos to change our prepaid booking there was no problem at all, they are used to this. So keep your plans flexible.

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

were you there in May . Is May usually windy. I'll wait to buy my tickets in Mykonos and hopefully everything will turn out. What about going to Mykonos from Rafina , I want to go right from the airport should i buy ahead for that or wait till I get there and buy my tickets at the airport.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

Winds are not often strong in May. There will be several daily ferries from Rafina, so it's best to wait and find the best alternative when you get to the airport. In the unlikely event catamarans are cancelled, there will be conventional ferries sailing in all but the strongest winds. :o)

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

so I can buy my tickets at the airport? I was thinking of taking the 1430 catamaran from rafina to mykonos on Sunday May 20th .You don't think it will be filled. I like the idea of waiting incase of cancelations. The conventional ferries is there any sailing to mykonos in the afternoon or early evening or is it too soon to know.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,673 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

Yes, there is currently listed the 'Theologos' ferry at 17:30. 'Seajet 2' again at 19:15.

See here:

http://www.gtp.gr/

Buy tickets in Rafina a) You can see whether it's rough/windy b) The port ticket agencies will be up to date on any cancellations, but the latter is very unlikely.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: boats from mykonos to santorini

The provisional schedule for Theologos P is available - it shows Sunday departures from Rafina at 17.30 from April to June. The schedules for the other conventional ferries have not been announced.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 15:11
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town
Recent Conversations