We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

Hey fellow travellers

We are fans of 'My Family and Other Animals' - is there somewhere we can visit that pays homage to this amazing author and his book? We are only in town for a day as cruise passengers but would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

Hi Kathy,

The house Gerald Durrell lived in on Corfu is situated in Kalami. This village is about 28 km from Corfu Town in the Northeast of the island.

The house is called the "White House" and is rented as a holiday home. See this link:

corfu-kalami.gr/accomodation_white_house.html

Ifigenia

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

Another way to pay homage would be to visit the relief sculpture of Gerald Durrell in the Bosketto Durrell garden in Corfu town. It is located across from the Liston (the arcade with cafes next to the cricket ground), near the far end of the Palace (the wing with the art gallery) and a children's playground.

Enjoy your visit!

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

Hey guys - thank you both so much. I was hoping there would be a house to visit or a museum of some description. Shame the house is a holiday rental - would love to have seen it.

Thanks again so much - two happy fans here!

Kathy

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,936 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

I did 'My Family and Other Animals' for O level (over 40 years ago) and LOVED it!

My Mum was convinced that I couldn't possibly be studying if I was laughing out loud.

I have a copy now and read it every so often - I love the bit about the gull under the table which was given to Gerry by the murderer.

Enjoy Corfu Town - it's very pretty.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

Thank you Pollycat - you;ve brought back some lovely memories - I must find my old copy and read it before we leave :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

Hi Kathy,

The "White House" in Kalami has a restaurant, too. Look here:

www.corfu-kalami.gr/restaurant_home.html

If you can't stay in the villa having a meal there may be the next best thing.

Ifigenia

Temple Cloud...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

The original posting isn't quite correct. It was Gerald's older brother Lawrence (Larry) that lived in the White House at Kalami, with his wife Nancy. This if often confused with the 'Snow White Villa' from GD's books, which is situated further down the island, south of Kerkyra town. However, the White House is an excellent restaurant, right on the water's edge.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

There is a great DVD available of "my family and other animals" which was shown as a TV series a few years ago, starring Hannah Gordon and Brian Blessed. It's a very enjoyable watch and really shows what it must have been like for the Durrells, living in Corfu, in the 1930's. There was also a one off special film made of the book, as well, but I can't find my copy and can't remember the main actresses name....age, sadly

Ramat Hasharon...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

are there guided tours in Corfu insteps of gerald Durrell in October?

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gerald Durrell fans in town for a day

Lawrence, not Gerald, Durrell lived at Kalami. I believe one of the houses mentioned in "My Family and..." was in Kanoni, where the airport is now, I can't remember where the other was. In Corfu town you can visit the church of St Spyridon where the young Gerald, as recounted in the book, watched the locals kiss the feet of the saint and was narrowly restrained from copying them by his mother (I think) on the grounds of hygiene. You can still see the saint's preserved body. The church is a very prominent landmark and you can't miss it.

Get answers to your questions about Corfu Town
Recent Conversations