We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for day trips

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
ideas for day trips

We have just booked a seven night stay in Corfu Town from 2 June. We would like to see as many authentic and picturesque towns and villages as possible, and some nice beaches/coves, using public buses or boats. Not interested in visiting purpose built holiday resorts. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for day trips

HI

If you check the ktel kerkyra website you will get the bus timetable for the green buses that run to all the villages from Corfu town. We live on Corfu and the buses are very punctual. Pelekas is a lovely village, you can visit the the kaisers holiday home and it has a nice beach. Buses to Pelekas are very frequent. Also on the west coast is Giannades. You will find few tourists as there is no nearby beach. But it has lovely views over the Ropa Valley and great walking country in the hillside behind it. i hope you enjoy corfu.

ian

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for day trips

Thanks Ian, that is really helpful. What are your thoughts on visiting Albania? I have seen some fabulous photographs of spectacular scenery, but I'm not sure how nice the scenery is around the port where you arrive. Also, are there any little boats that you can hop on and off up the coast?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for day trips

A boat ride to Boukari for a late lunch would be lovely. Fresh, fresh fish and great other traditional dishes await at this family-run establishment on a jetty overlooking crystal clear sea. I can highly recommend the food at Akrogiali. The owner's wife is a cook sent from heaven! Whilst we stayed there, boats drifted in from time to time with people from Corfu Town (many were islanders), just for the food. Reasonable prices and good local house wines.

The reviews here are about the accommodation, but the food gets equally great mentions

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1182197-d218…

A lovely boat trip, and food overlooking a great view from this tranquil little hamlet.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for day trips

Consider also a day trip to Meteora - we did it last year and it is stunning!.

www.greecetravel.com/meteora/monasteries.html

Also worth a short vist not far from Corfu town (bus goes from corfu town) is the Achillion Palace - http://in-corfu.com/historic/achillion.html. Lovely views back to Corfu town

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for day trips

Sounds wonderful - will add it to the list.

Thank you.

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas for day trips

Hi there,as ur staying in Corfu Town I wud suggest a boat trip over to Vidos Island,just across the water from the main town.U can get the small boat in the Old Port at the harbour.Takes 10 mins & costs a few euros.Boat leaves on the hour from the Town & returns from the island every 1/2 hr.

A luvly peaceful place to spend either a few hrs or a lot longer & u can also visit at night as boats run from morning & returns around midnight.1 taverna on the island called Menios which serves good food at reasonable prices.

Wildlife sanctuary on the island & u can feed the rabbits & see the different birds that are there.There's also a mausoleum to the 1200 WW1 Russian & Serbian soldiers who lost their lives.Worth a visit,even if just to see Corfu Town from another viewpoint across the sea,whilst having lunch or dinner at the taverna.

We've been coming to Corfu since 2000 & hav visited sum luvly places over the yrs,normally by car.If u can get a bus to these villages (which may or may not be possible!!),I'd recommend,Pelekas,Afionas,Peroulades,Old Perithia,Strinilas,Lakones,Sinarades,Boukari & Lefkimmi.Going off and seeing sum of these luvly places and experiencing a corfiot village rather than a busy resort is not to be missed......hope this helps & enjoy ur hols!!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas for day trips

HI there

My number one would have to be Old Perithia - just wonderful village with amazing tavernas and such a pretty drive up to the village too - just magical it really was :-) and the food at the taverna was some of the best Greek food that I have eaten :-)

northumbria
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ideas for day trips

Hi B&P, if you have a kindle, download ' corfu villages" parts one and two by Steve ford, it has a brilliant overview of the small villages in corfu, plus all the proceeds go to corfu charities

9. Re: ideas for day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 04:22