We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

Hi all!

I dont intend to drive this on the sand dunes but becos of my 14day trip from brisbane, gold coast and sydney, i have booked this vehicle thoughout.

My questions (oops, aplenty!) :)

can i drive over and park there and participate in the activities and stay a couple of nights? Is there free parking? how much does it cost to drive over?

r there normal roads to drive on this island in the rented vehicle without getting into trouble with the sand?

i am travelling in a group of 6. Oldest is 83 who is very mobile but wont put him thro extreme stuff. is the 4WD tour on the island (1D, 2D stuff) safe for him?

hope to hear from anyone who can help me out. Tks.

btw, i am departing this saturday to brisbane.

alen

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

Moreton Island roads are all sand & not suited to a 2WD There are no bitumen roads. ALL VEHICLES MUST BE 4WD. All-wheel drives and vehicles with low clearance may have difficulty along inland tracks and in soft sand, and are therefore not recommended

You can leave your car on the mainland & hire a 4WD from the island.

All vehicles travelling to Moreton Island require a vehicle permit from Queensland Parks and Wildlife. These are available from the Micat office of from the Queensland Parks and Wildlife website. The sticker will be given to you at the time of boarding and must be affixed to the windscreen of your car so that the Moreton Island Park Rangers can easily see them.

…qld.gov.au/parks/moreton-island/about.html

www.moretonislandrealestate.com/transport.php

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

Adding to Ellemay's comments, if you don't want to put your elderly relative << through extreme stuff >> you might want to think of visiting some other place. As stated you CAN'T take your 2 WD hire vehicle on to Moreton Island (even if you were allowed, a lot of vehicle hire companies don’t allow their vehicles to go on ferries/barges). A 4 x 4 day tour should be safe, and although your relative might be very mobile, these tours can get very bouncy and rough. Driving on sand can get very tiring and some people find it difficult as you can get tossed from side to side in the vehicles.

If you are still interested in driving to an island why not look at driving to North Stradbroke Island. North Stradbroke Island is the sister island to Moreton Island in Moreton Bay, Brisbane and located south of Moreton Island. And yes you can drive a 2 WD vehicle there, and yes it has sealed/bitumen roads. North Stradbroke Island is more touristy, but still a lovely island for touring at your leisure.

But!! Before you think of driving to North Stradbroke Island, you will need to check with your vehicle hire company to see if they allow their vehicles to travel on ferries/barges??

If you have permission to drive your hire vehicle on to the ferries/barges, you can catch a vehicular ferry from Cleveland, Brisbane, a couple of links below for information on North Stradbroke Island -

http://www.stradbrokeferries.com.au/

http://www.stradbroke-island.com.au/

Good luck.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 28 March 2012, 04:55
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

Excellent idea Rob T... Nth Stradbroke Island would be ideal for your folks Alen T.

Moreton Island is gorgeous but the sandy roads are not suited for elderly people. However; if you stay on the waterfront it can be heavenly watching the dolphins & other wildlife.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

Thanks ellemay & rob! :)

Information is much appreciated. Shall look into the North Stradbroke Island & vehicle crossing over. Is there a ferry to bring tourists from this island to Moreton Island or i have to get back to mainland first?

Hmmm, guess the 4WD on Moreton island may not be suitable for the elderly. Looks like i need to change plans.

Do you know of anywhere i can park for free for few days in the mainland?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

The ferry to North Stradbroke Island is for vehicles with passengers and walk on passengers?

There is car park where you get on the ferry, Middle Street, Cleveland, Brisbane. Have a look at the link below it will help you with some other queries you might have -

http://www.stradbrokeferries.com.au/faqs/

IMO you should still contact tour operators to Moreton Island to see if their tours are appropriate for the elderly. Moreton Island as Ellemay stated is Heavenly, it's one of my favourites.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 28 March 2012, 21:25
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

If you want to do a tour from Brisbane to Moreton island there are plenty available.

http://www.get2moretonisland.com/

To get to Moreton Island as a passenger only -

From Pinkenba, Brisbane River northside to Tangalooma Resort

Pedestrian only. Note: For Tangalooma guests / day trippers only.

www.tangalooma.com

Tours from Tangalooma Resort

www.tangalooma.com/info/tours_and_activities/

You can leave your car at Holt Street Wharf in Pinkenba, (mainland). Holt Street wharf is situated approximately 1km downstream from the Gateway Bridge on the north bank of the Brisbane River.

Holt Street Wharf has off street parking, the current charge is $15.00 per day, or part thereof, or $60.00 per week. The parking area is not under cover nor guaranteed secure, but is a locked-up and fenced area.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

Thank U Ellemay & Rob for your valuable info!

Will check the links out.

:) Have a great weekend yourself and family!

8. Re: Fullsize Automatic Hyundai Imax on this island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Moreton Island