We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget self-guided day trip

Toriaballet2
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
budget self-guided day trip

Hello all,

My friend is visiting from California and she is interested in snorkeling. We are on a tight budget (I live on the Gold Coast) and I am thinking that a day trip to Moreton Island may be a good way to do this without a car.

My questions are as follows:

Once we get off the ferry from Brisbane, how far is it to walk to the following places: (I am assuming there are no island shuttles/buses etc for the public)

1) The shipwrecks for snorkeling

2) Areas for sand tobagganoning

My next question is given that we will have no source of transportation, and will have to leave for the ferry at 4 PM, what else can be done in this area? Is the blue lagoon, lighthouse, tea tree lakes etc close by?

The next question is if we decide to bite the bullet and stay overnight at the cheapest accomodation possible, is there an opportunity to feed the dolphins without joining a tour/staying at Tangalooma? I heard in other forums that you do not need to be a hotel guest to watch, and they do not ask for any tickets etc for you to walk up to water and feed them.

I was also told by some locals that Tangalooma does not "own" the water or beach that the dolphins are in and therefore they cannot stop you from coming there and interacting with them (although you may have to fight the crowds for a spot). We will be going sometime from September 20- October 2). I certainly do not want to be rude, at the same time, I have no desire to pay for something I can do on my own.....

Thank you!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget self-guided day trip

The ferry arrives near Tangalooma resort, you can walk down to the shipwrecks, maybe 1km away, the sand tobogganing is too far to walk plus you need a board to go down on...feeding the dolphins is done as a guest at Tangalooma resort, however you can watch for free but that is it, they are pretty strict with this...one day we were swimming out the front of the resort (we were non guests staying at a holiday house behind the resort) and the dolphins swam past us and hung around for a while but no touching or approaching them was allowed..

hope this helps

Colombian in the US
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget self-guided day trip

Hi, i was wondering how your trip went. Im planning to head there in the next week and had pretty much your same questions. Would be super useful if you can answer for me now that you went on your trip alrready. many tahnks! lina

3. Re: budget self-guided day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2016, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Moreton Island