We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

Which Kriopigi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
188 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

How long will it take to drive to Ahtos pen from kriopigi ?

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
774 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

Around an hour or maybe a bit more. Even up to an hour and a half if you are driving very careful and slow, and if the roads are busy due to the summer season. Just an estimation to keep in mind.

But it's definitely worthed!

Essex
Level Contributor
188 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

Thank you we have the car for 2 weeks so want to see as much as possible . we drove around Sithonia peninsula last year and I think we managed to see most of it .

Can you recommend any must see places on Athos and somewhere special to stop for lunch ?

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
774 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

When you say Athos, I am pretty sure you mean the area before the Athos peninsula with the monasteries, correct? As you are not allowed to drive into the Athos peninsula. However you can get on a boat trip that takes you on the one side of the peninsula , where you can see from very close the monasteries. Also, since you are going on that side of Halkidiki check out Ouranoupoli. There is a very beautiful Byzantine tower you could visit. There are lots of shops , cafes, tavernas in the area, but unfortunately I don't have personal experience of any of them to recommend to you. Ierisso is a nice little town, with a beautiful beach. If you have time check out the Kakoudia beach. It's not organised with chairs and umbrellas, but it's really beautiful waters and peacefulll. From Trypiti port, you can also get a ferry to Ammouliani Island, the only inhabited island of Halkidik. It's a very nice little place, with magnificent beaches to swim .

Moreover, since you mention you drove around Sithonia last year, have you had the chance to see the little traditional settlement of Parthenonas? It's the old village "above" Neos Marmaras, actually 5 km away . I think that if you have the time, it's worth spending some time there. The views are magnificent and the architecture as well. There are also two tavernas and a cafe there where you can spend some quality time.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Regards,

Giannis

Essex
Level Contributor
188 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

Thank you Giannis

You have been very helpful. Yes I did mean the area before the monasteries , I will visit all the places you have recommended and go back to Sithonia .

Regards Carol

London
Level Contributor
742 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

We drove to Ouranopolis last year from Pefkohori and it took forever! I would say it was more like 3 hours, the roads are not easy to follow and we headed off in the wrong direction a few times, even though it looks easy on the map!

We go to Halkidiki about 5 times a year so are used to driving there and were surprised how long it took - the stretch between the top of the Sithonia peninsula and the Athos peninsula was very long and confusing as road signs are pretty non-existent.

Saying that, it was worth the drive, and if you have time go to Ammouliani Island (we stayed over night)...

Essex
Level Contributor
188 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

Thank you an earlier post said an hour ??

Where did you stay overnight ?

Would like to go across to the island ,

London
Level Contributor
742 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

It's definitely more than an hour! Kriopigi is slightly further up the Kassandra peninsula than Pefkohori so you can cut about 15 mins off the journey, but it is probably about an hour to the top of the Sithonia peninsula then you have to go the width of the peninsula and then another hour+ to the Athos peninsula. I would say estimate 3 hours and anything less is a bonus!

We stayed in the Hotel Sunrise on Ammouliani, it's very basic but a great location and perfect for 1 night, you can see it to the left of the harbour as the ferry pulls into Ammouliani:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1060379-d115…

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

i totally agree with Carolinus. It is more than 1.5-2 hours!

check here! https://www.google.gr/maps/dir/%CE%9A%CF%81%CF%85%CE%BF%CF%80%CE%B7%CE%B3%CE%AE/%CE%99%CE%B5%CF%81%CE%B9%CF%83%CF%83%CF%8C%CF%82+630+75/@40.3856441,23.812543,10z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x14a62be1141a7c73:0x1577500d3538e5e3!2m2!1d23.4733718!2d40.0348237!1m5!1m1!1s0x14a8c415eaa8f235:0x500bd2ce2bb24a0!2m2!1d23.8766837!2d40.3975466

Since you do not know the roads here... maybe it would take half an hour more ;)

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
774 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

Sorry guys but I drove personally this road 19 days ago and it took me around 80minutes! I might have exaggerated by saying a bit over an hour, but three hours????? Come ooon! It never took me over an hour and a half even during summer time, and I am not the "Formula 1" type of driver!!! Anyway,lets say that it'll be two hours or so, I personally think that this whole drive is totally worthed!

Essex
Level Contributor
188 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kriopigi to Athos peninsula

Have booked the hotel for one night thank you for your recommendation .

Get answers to your questions about Kriopigi
Recent Conversations