We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magiclife Tips

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Magiclife Tips

Club Magiclife Jandia

This is not intended as a review but I was asked for some general tips recently and these are mine. If you have anything (constructive) to add please feel free.

General Tips (in no particular order apart from No 1 that is)

1. In case you haven't read any of the 000's of hotel reviews there are VERY STEEP STEPS down onto the beach !. These are the steps next to the pool bar, they have the convenience of a changing room and foot shower at the top. However there are less steep steps in the far left-hand corner of the site just past the private lodge. If you want to go onto the beach directly below the Magiclife you will actually walk further via route two but as I say it is less steep. In general if you have walking difficulties this is not an ideal hotel for you anyway, you would be better off at say the Faro in Jandia for example. If you are able-bodied think of the steps as a free workout.

2. Fuerteventura is a windy island so why not take or buy a kite and make the most of it.

3. The pools aren't heated, okay in the summer but a little ... bracing the rest of the year.

4. The best coffee is served in the Wunderbar.

5. There are "Chipmunks" aka Barbary Squirrels on the beach, they are very endearing and quite tame and will take food from your hands (I have no idea what if any diseases they have !). The authorities would prefer tourists not to feed them but in case you are going to ignore that advice they seem to like Monkey Nuts best ;-)

6. The best Mojitos are served in the Plaza Bar.

7. Pool tables need euro coins (get change at reception).

8. There are chiller cabinets in the Pool Bar and Wunderbar containing 1.5 litre bottles of still spring water. We bought an insulated sleeve for taking water to pool and beach e.g. amazon.co.uk/Insulated-Bottle-Cool-With-Stra…

9. There are a few nice shops in Jandia, take a Taxi to Cosmo shopping centre and walk back towards the lighthouse, Fund Grube is one of the nicer ones. Taxi cost is circa 6-8 euros to Jandia depending which end you want to go.

10. A good place to see Chipmunks and also Green Parakeets is near the whale skeleton near the lighthouse in Jandia.

11. Segwaying is available at the hotel and is huge fun, the lady who runs it (Annie) is really nice, it's not cheap but worth the treat. Remember to pack trainers or comfy shoes because you can't do it in flip-flops.

12. The Entertainment team are superb and the boss Izzet is a top Guy, if you want to have fun try to join in some activities.

13. In the past one of the themed evenings in the Plaza Bar is "White Night", if you want to look the part pack some all white clothes.

14. Sarah in Guest Relations is lovely and really helpful.

15. The on-site car hire Guy in reception is friendly and the his rates are very good however our car wasn't the best. If you don't use him you have to go in to Jandia to collect.

16. Car hire; even if only for a day or so is highly recommended if only to go to the spectacular Sotavento and Risco Del Paso beaches for a walk and/or to watch the Kite and Windsurfers (you can hire gear and have lessons at the shop near the Melia Gorriones hotel at Sotavento if you are young/adventurous enough).

17. Costa Calma, the nearest adjacent resort, is a bit more kiss me quick if you like that sort of thing.

18. Learn a little Spanish (and German); hello, please, thank you etc. it goes a long way with the staff and fellow guests.

19. It's a fully All Inclusive hotel no wristbands !.

20. There are tip boxes at reception for when you are leaving however if you experience excellent service why not give a tip there and then, it is always appreciated ;-)

21. Take a small torch with you to negotiate the steps down on to the beach in the dark - fantastic spot for stargazing etc.

22. If you are going out for the day, ask at reception for picnic boxes and you can go to Magico and take whatever you want - we normally make up rolls or sandwiches cold meats, cheese etc. and plenty of fruit. Spaghetti Bolognese doesn't work well !.

23.The food is excellent (in my opinion) and the main buffet restaurant Magico has a huge selection for breakfast, lunch and dinner - perhaps a little German orientated but hey they are the majority of guests.

24. The Baia restaurant is nice for a light lunch, fresh pizzas and salad in particular, it has a nice shady verandah and is often quiet if you time it right.

25. The pool bar food is basic but perfectly ok, toasties, burgers, chips etc.

26. The house beer called Tropical is perfectly drinkable, there is a help-yourself tap in the pool bar and often one just outside the Plaza bar in the evening.

27. You can get something to drink 24/7 !.

28. The spa area in the bottom right-hand corner of the site has a naturist area. A few rooms overlook that area so if you are offended by nudity suggest you make sure at check-in your room isn't one facing that way.

29. There will also probably be some naturists on the beach, fewer in peak season when more families are in Jandia. If you are offended by nudity suggest you go to Gran Canaria instead ;-)

30. The Argentinian restaurant is nice enough for a little additional waiter service, there's no charge and (I think) you can go as many times as you want but from memory you have to book at reception the morning of the day before you want to go and you need to get up early to book !.

31 If you have any birthdays, anniversaries etc. whilst you are there ask at reception and they will dress your table with flowers and bring you a bottle of bubbly. We got wine and a fruit platter in our room too which was a nice touch.

32. Don't forget to pack your sunscreen and your sense of humour.

If you think of something else by all means ask.

Digger

Rouses Point, New...
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Magiclife Tips

This is a fab outline of the hotel, many thanks DiggerCardiff.

Rouses Point Girl

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magiclife Tips

Sorry Digger but I thought the coffee in the Wunderbar was awful and in my review I told Carlos the manager.

Are you saying there are no naturists in the dunes in Maspolomas?. At least the narturists on the beach outside ML are well behaved.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Magiclife Tips

Hi ashtonian - I'm not saying it's the best coffee I have ever had, just that if you want a coffee at the Magiclife what they serve in the Wunderbar is the best you're going to get imo.

As regards my note about the Naturists is concerned I think you missed my ironic wink ;-)

Cheers

Dig

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magiclife Tips

Thanks RPG - have stayed at the CML Fuerte a few times and always happy to try to help anyone with questions.

cheers

Dig

Wales
Level Contributor
294 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Magiclife Tips

If any one ends up in Jandia and is offended by naturism then they really have been living on a different planet - it's quite a well known fact.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Magiclife Tips

Nobody here is offended (by Naturists) as far as I can tell, just a general heads-up for those who may not be in the know which may be quite a few given some of the hotel reviews for Jandia I read !.

Cheers

Dig

Wales
Level Contributor
294 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Magiclife Tips

Digger, whilst we've not stayed at Magic Life, and I admire your detailed assessment which I'm sure will assist many potential visitors, I must say that there are still a number of reviews for the Jandia area which continue to make reference to...."dominated by Germans" or "shocked by the nudists" etc.

It's almost like saying I went to Benidorm and was shocked by the number of English pubs and kiss me quick hats.

Long may the south of Fuerte retain its current identity. Cheers.

Gerrards Cross...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Magiclife Tips

It is amazing the number of reviews and posts you read from people who went that had no idea about naturism on the island. The responses seem to range through mild amusement, raised eyebrows, comments about body shapes, initial displeasure, and on to outright fear.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Magiclife Tips

Spinx,

Re: "Long may the south of Fuerte retain its current identity" - Amen to that !

We get on great with the Germans and anyone who given the opportunity doesn't want to at least go skinny dipping is weird (imo).

Cheers

Dig

Edited: 04 November 2014, 12:19
Rouses Point, New...
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Magiclife Tips

lloniannau ac y gorau o iechyd Digger!

RPG

Get answers to your questions about Jandia Peninsula